Director, Technical Optical Developer, Augmented Reality
- Master’s degree in Optics, Physics, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience working with external component vendors and partners around optical device design, fabrication, and tests.
- 10 years of experience managing people and technical projects within hardware system development domains.
- Experience building and leading teams across organizational structures.
- Experience collaborating across organizational boundaries, building relationships and delivering on joint objectives and key results.
- Ability to understand the complex relationship between the organization and its environment, identify connections, adopt different perspectives, and quickly respond to changing circumstances in a strategic way.
- Ability to think innovatively, problem solve systematically, collaborate cross-functionally, and work through to solutions of ambiguous problems.
- Ability to inspire and motivate all stakeholders to work together as a cohesive and highly productive unit that drives execution impact at scale.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, communication, and organizational skills.
About the job
In this role, you will be responsible for managing the delivery of Optical designs for Augmented Reality (AR) products including optical design, process development, test, and metrology to build toward business goals. You will lead an Optical Development team, working as part of a cross-functional program team to deliver AR products. You will build and lead a high performing, globally distributed team delivering operational excellence at scale.
You will work collaboratively with Product Management to define optical specifications, mobilize teams to deliver optical designs for AR products, define fabrication processes, establish test and metrology systems, and partner with development and operations to deliver robust manufacturable solutions. You will drive data-driven decision-making enabling AR/VR products. You will work to inspire teams and establish trust among stakeholders and customers.
The Google Augmented Reality team is a diverse group of experts tasked with building the foundations for great immersive computing and building helpful, delightful user experiences. We're focused on making immersive computing accessible to billions of people through mobile devices, and our scope continues to grow and evolve.
- Partner with advanced photonics groups on research initiatives for future product optical components and technologies.
- Lead design and development of optical display systems for AR products: light engine assemblies, waveguides, and manufacturing capabilities. Oversee planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects and define/drive the technical needs of our development partners.
- Lead team on risk mitigation, key metric identification, schedule and budget maintenance, and efficient execution. Improve processes and tools to maximize quality and predictability of optical designs.
- Partner with developers, product management, and leadership to ensure optical design deliverables align with hardware/software developers and product operations priorities.
- Develop diverse talent by mentoring and planning for succession. Prioritize retention strategies for key talent.
Your application has been successfully submitted.