Business Systems Engineer
We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
About The Role:
As Notion continues to grow quickly, there is a unique opportunity to build the foundations of data and help the product and company reach their full potential. The Data Engineering team is responsible for designing and building reliable, trusted and timely datasets that accelerate the decision-making process of key product and business functions.
As a Business Systems Engineer on the Data Engineering team, you will serve as a strategic thought-partner to drive Notion's critical go-to-market strategy. You will design Notion’s integrated system architecture to ensure it aligns well with the business’ organizational structure and processes. You will be a critical part of building the foundation of Notion’s integrated tech stack, bringing your expertise and best practices to design and develop solutions that will allow us to automate critical data hand offs and enable us for hyper-growth.
You will work closely with Business Technology and Data Science teams, as well as other business stakeholders, to build bridges across data silos, and implement innovative solutions to unlock our business goals. As an early member of the team, your career growth will be boundless!
What You'll Achieve:
- Enable workflows across siloed systems by integrating elements of application layers and build a longer term strategy for data governance across Notion’s internal tools
- Understand Notion’s data across applications to design and build technical solutions for complex problems that require an in-depth understanding of integrated business processes
- Partner with Notion’s Business Technology Systems Managers and Data Scientists to build pipelines from our data warehouse to power crucial customer and product data requirements in our internal tools
- Define processes and ETL infrastructure to transform and make data readily available across the company
- Implement automated workflows that lower manual/operational cost for stakeholders, define and uphold SLAs for timely delivery of data, and move the company closer to data democratization
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- 3+ years of experience in hands-on development, focused on integration of data models across a variety of sales, marketing and finance enterprise SaaS tools (preferably Salesforce, Marketo, Stripe, and/or Netsuite)
- Ability to analyze technical business requirements, including functional and non-functional requirements, to architect and develop integrations across critical applications
- In-depth knowledge of SQL and object-oriented programming paradigms (e.g Python, Java, Scala) to efficiently manipulate large volumes of data
- Creative and analytical thinker who can facilitate resolution to key design decisions in complex, integrated systems projects
- Strong communication and collaboration while working in cross-functional environments
Nice to Haves:
- Worked at a fast-growing start-up, a SaaS company or are eager to contribute in such an environment (being a current Notion user would also be great!)
- Hands-on experience in designing and building highly scalable and reliable data pipelines using BigData stack (e.g Airflow, DBT, Spark, Hive, Parquet/ORC, Protobuf/Thrift, etc)
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco or New York City, the estimated base salary range for this role is $130,000 - $230,000 per year.
Your application has been successfully submitted.