Hardware Performance Test Engineer, Engineering Labs, Google Cloud
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience with Linux and software scripting languages (i.e. Python).
- 2 years of industry experience working in hardware development lab and supporting hardware bring-up.
- Experience with hardware evaluation methodologies, including lab measurements, performance monitoring, test automation, and data analysis.
- Experience with Linux or other Unix operating systems (e.g., Ubuntu or RHEL) and shell scripts.
- Experience in more than one discipline related to hardware test, hardware qualification, and manufacturing (i.e., signal integrity, power circuit testing, optical testing, network testing, scripting, and hardware test automation).
- Knowledge of computer systems (e.g., physical, functional, logical, mechanical, electrical, software, thermal, etc.).
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings such as schematics, datasheets, and written work instructions.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to coordinate and manage the needs of multiple lab users.
About the job
Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
As a Hardware Performance Test Engineer, you will support a team of hardware design, test, and qualification engineers who are responsible for prototype bring-up, validation, qualification, and failure analysis of server-related technologies (e.g., CPU, DDR memory, storage, and high-speed interconnects). You will be responsible for liaison between hardware engineering teams and the lab team to ensure lab resources are accounted for and to ensure we are ‘lab-ready’ for new products entering the Research and Development (R&D) labs and/or sustaining efforts. You will help manage lab budget, hiring, performance management, and the well-being of the team as well as ensuring the labs are well organized and provide a safe working environment.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $119,000-$181,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Support various hardware prototype bring up and qualification testing activities by developing Python automation test script to facilitate system performance regression testing and failure reproduction.
- Design robust network, power, and cooling infrastructure for high and medium touched labs with remote control functionality.
- Develop software and infrastructure required for managing a fleet of test systems at scale to avoid manual configuration and test execution. Develop quality data collection systems and visualization of the data (i.e. measurements).
- Provide integrated software to synchronize test execution on Device-under-Test (DUT) with external smart measurement instrumentation.
- Support a team of hardware designers, qualification and test engineers, on project planning within hardware development labs, and ensure adequate resources are met as required.
Your application has been successfully submitted.