Staff Software Engineer, Demand Engineering - Slack
Staff Software Engineer, Demand Engineering
Uk, Ireland UK Remote, Ireland Remote
About the Team
The Demand Engineering team enables fast and reliable delivery of Slack to our 14M+ globally distributed daily active users.
We design, implement and run Ingress load balancing and traffic management, including our own fleet of software load balancers and management of cloud load balancing infrastructure, plus DNS and CDN. Our Internal load balancing is managed via service discovery and service mesh.
Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business. Demand Engineering’s roadmap is aimed at improving ease-of-use of our infrastructure by providing our developers' features such as blue-green deployments out of the box.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering ensuring resilient systems built to scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic.
Reliability is Slack’s most critical feature! Accordingly, Demand Engineering is responsible for systems vital to Slack’s availability. We work to make our systems scalable, efficient, and operating according to our high standards in production. We also partner with other engineering teams to find solutions to improve end-to-end customer experience in Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This is a full-time staff engineering position based in the UK or Ireland.
What you will be doing
- Designing tools that, as developed will process performance data we collect from millions of our global users enabling the compilation of a precise metric-based map of the Internet as it relates to Slack
- Designing and implementing scalable and reliable traffic delivery infrastructure
- Designing, building, maintaining and operating production systems that balance traffic across our edge regions and various backend services
- Operating systems that protect our network from DDoS attacks
- Crafting and building tools that will utilize this map to improve our DNS routing decisions in order to optimize Slack user experience and achieve even higher levels of availability and lower latency
- Automating operational traffic workflows, building automation and eliminating toil
What you should have
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 5+ years.
- A solid understanding of fundamental networking
- A mentoring mindset and love to model modern methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Ability to analyze and optimize efficiency in high-traffic internet applications
- Proven track record of building tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages (e.g. Go, Ruby, Python, C/C++)
- Strong interpersonal skills, e.g. ability to convey complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is something you are used to
- Experience with TCP/IP, DNS, and network-related protocols
- Experience with Linux / Unix operating on high volume systems at scale
- Experience with configuring and operating traffic management components such as load balancers, web, DNS and proxy servers in production
- Experience running deployment automation/configuration management systems at scale -- e.g, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, distributed systems and software development
- A BS, MS, or Ph.D. in engineering or related technical field (or equivalent work experience)
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce, Inc. or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.
Your application has been successfully submitted.