Software Engineer : Realtime Services, Core Infrastructure
Software Engineer : Realtime Services, Core Infrastructure
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- During the week, our users spend over a billion minutes a day active in our product.
- At peak usage, a million messages a minute passed through Slack.
- Every day we see over 15 million simultaneously connected users
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
About our team
The Realtime Services Team is a small team making a huge impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that scale. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic. We build and maintain the messaging layer at Slack to ensure that all messages are routed to users as fast and as reliably as possible. Our services are written in Java and run in Kubernetes. We are a globally distributed team with members in the Bay Area, Canada and Washington DC Metro areas, and we’ve been using Slack heavily to collaborate on our work even before it became THE thing to do.
We know we’ve done our jobs well when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship shiny, new, user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, secure and scalable.
If you were to join the team, here the types of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Design, build, ship and maintain the messaging infrastructure that is at the core of Slack
- Collaborate with peers across Engineering to triage bugs and troubleshoot complex production issues across the stack, especially with respect to performance or scale.
- Whiteboard a fix to a reliability problem — and then make it happen!
- Write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Possess strong Computer Science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, operating system, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Been building large scale systems professionally for 2+ years and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Have experience building reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the trade-offs made when engineering a feature.
- Have experience with Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Terraform and other DevOps tooling.
- Have experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment.
- Can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better.
- Write code that can be easily understood by others with an eye towards clarity and maintainability.
- Are a very strong communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with different audiences.
- Are curious how things work and when things break you are eager and able to help fix them.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Realtime Services Team is a diverse and inclusive team that is building the future of Slack’s infrastructure. We are happy to help you learn what you need to know; we encourage and support each other’s growth and it’s not expected that you would have expertise across all of these areas from the beginning.
Come join us!
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce, Inc. or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.For Colorado-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $133,400 to $183,400.For New York-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $146,600 to $220,000.For California-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $146,600 to $220,000.For Washington-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $133,400 to $201,700.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, and benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.