Senior Software Engineer, Cloud Infra- Slack
Slack enables people around the world to communicate and collaborate together, from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups. We take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
During the week, our users spend over a billion minutes a day active in our product.
At peak usage, a million messages a minute passed through Slack.
Every day we see over 15 million simultaneously connected users
For millions of people, Slack is their primary communication tool for work and more and they expect it to be extraordinarily reliable and fast year-round.
About the Team
The Cloud Engineering team is composed of Cloud Engineers, Financial Analysts and AWS Subject Matter Experts, working to make Slack more performant, available & cost-efficient each day. We are constantly perfecting and improving our AWS stance in order to make Slack performant and available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on unique scaling problems for a global customer base and write software to provide maximum transparency into our cloud infrastructure. We get excited about making Slack scaling, highly available and resilient whilst ensuring we use the right technology stack.
What you will be doing
- Leading software projects, from start to finish, where the scope is mostly understood
- Design and develop a new platform to provide our engineering teams a foundation to work and innovate
- Develop and code innovative solutions to deliver the best possible platform using containerization, virtualization and AWS services
- Writing, enhancing and extending Terraform modules
- Implementation of a home-grown system to deploy, maintain and scale applications for service owners
- Proactively build great relationships with service owners with ideas
- Educate others and provide ideas/tips on how to improve our overall platform efficiency and performance
- Scaling the impact of our team through direct mentorship of our more junior team members
- Be responsible for saving millions of dollars every year and keeping our cloud costs under control
- Participate in our on-call rotation and collaborate with our operations team to triage and resolve production issues
- Build tools efficiently to allow engineers to identify system bottlenecks.
- Build monitoring and introspection tools efficiently to allow engineers to quickly introspect a system.
What you should have
- Curiosity about how clouds work and love to share that knowledge with others
- The ability to analyze and optimize reliability in high-traffic internet applications
- A mentoring attitude and love to model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and touble shooting. You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on
- Hands-on experience with AWS. You have a broad knowledge of many services and a deep knowledge of a few of these services
- You have deployed applications to the cloud and have used Terraform/Cloudformation to ensure software is deployed as code
- Ability to troubleshoot and debug issues across infrastructure, applications, and distributed systems
- Strong problem solving skills
- 5+ years professional experience in cloud engineering, working in a team environment
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python or Go (used without frameworks)
- Experience with software engineering, scripting, automation and orchestration tools (Bash, Chef, Jenkins, Terraform)
- Experience provisioning, configuring and maintaining cloud computing services (AWS)
- Experience working with large scale AWS environments
- A domain expert within the AWS ecosystem (S3 / IAM / EC2)
- AWS professional certification(s)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Prior experience reducing cloud costs at scale
At Salesforce we encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people of all ages, people living with a disability, LGBTIQ+ candidates, and people from multi-cultural backgrounds.
Salesforce Australia is committed to walking together with the Traditional Custodians of this land, Australia’s First Nations peoples, as we forge a path to reconciliation. Please see our Reconciliation Action Plan for more information.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce, Inc. or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.
Your application has been successfully submitted.