Senior Engineering Manager, Webapp Infrastructure Reliability Engineering (WIRE)
We are hiring a Senior Engineering Manager to lead and grow our Webapp Infra Reliability (WIRE) team!
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion+ messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 10M+ daily active users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
- We handle about 600k requests per second at peak, and nearly 6 billion API requests served per day.
- For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
About the Team
Webapp is both the multi-million line codebase that contains all of Slack's business logic and the multi-thousand node distributed system that runs that code for millions of users across the globe. The Webapp Infra (WIN) pillar is responsible for both. We make it possible for hundreds of developers at Slack to be productive in the Webapp codebase, to make and release changes safely, and to maintain Slack's exacting reliability requirements. WIN handles maintenance and upgrades of the Hack programming language, static analysis tooling, widely used libraries in the codebase, critical infrastructure, as well as tuning and debugging the HHVM runtime and other services it depends on. With three sub-teams : Language, Runtime and Reliability (aka WIRE), Webapp Infra supports the middle layers of the stack above the AWS instances and below the product code. This role is open for the WIRE sub-team.
The Webapp Infra Reliability Engineering (WIRE) team develops, runs and scales core components of Slack’s Webapp Infrastructure in AWS (Commercial and GovCloud). We continuously seek to improve the visibility, speed, and safety of Slack’s distributed application architecture. Part of the team’s charter is also to drive high priority efforts for reliability, infrastructure upgrades, migrations, capacity planning, operational efficiency and simplification.
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly!
If you are an Engineering leader passionate about reliability, have a consistent track record of building healthy, highly performant teams, driving technical roadmaps, have experience leading large scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems, care about metrics and developer experience then this role may be for you.
What you will do:
- Lead, hire and grow a high-caliber, diverse team of Webapp Site Reliability Engineers
- Develop strategic direction for the team and foster a culture of growth and learning
- Identify, prioritize and execute against opportunities to enable high availability, performance, resiliency, operational simplification and efficiency of Webapp Infrastructure
- Build and execute a long-term roadmap that delivers on tooling and overarching systemic projects that will make Webapp more resilient and enable every engineering team to ship more reliably, safely, securely and efficiently
- Maintain a healthy on-call rotation and incident response cadence
- Collaborate with Infrastructure Engineering, Product Engineering and Security teams on critical migrations and projects
- Communicate effectively with senior leadership, peer managers, and the direct team
What you should have:
- 3+ years engineering management experience, prior management of SRE teams is a strong plus!
- Technical depth that allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team
- Experience establishing and measuring OKRs or team goals
- Critical thinking, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 7+ years in software engineering of distributed systems or site reliability engineering position with a history of hands-on contribution
- Experience operating SaaS software systems in a production environment
- Experience with AWS or other major cloud providers
- Experience with CI/CD, observability and incident management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training or work experience.
- Have lawful permanent residency within the U.S.
Infrastructure is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well. We are happy to help you learn what you need to know; we encourage and support each other’s growth and thus it’s not expected that you would have expertise across all of these areas. We look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative.
Come join us!
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce, Inc. or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.
For Colorado-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $156,800 to $215,600.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, and benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.