Director of Engineering, Quip
Slack is looking for an Engineering Director to lead our Quip Tier 1 Enablement engineering team. This team is part of the Quip Platform group and is responsible for crafting, building and maintaining the key features as well as pieces of backend infrastructure that help Quip’s largest and most engaged customers to collaborate and drive their businesses using Quip.
This person’s main responsibilities includes guiding and supporting the team in solving the most impactful projects; understanding and supporting engineering managers and engineers in their career development and growth; and balance overall project priorities, team morale, technical debt, and customer needs.
Our goal at Quip is to build a productivity suite that every person at every company loves using every single day. Whether it’s Quip’s fundamental collaboration suite, or Quip for Sales, which brings our productivity suite directly into the CRM experience and enables our users to combine their unstructured day-to-day work with their line-of-business, structured responsibilities, we strive to make our customers more productive in their overall work life.
What you will be doing:
- Lead, hire and grow a high-calibre team of frontend and backend engineers and their managers.
- Develop strategic direction for customer enablement engineering and team culture considering reactive and proactive approaches.
- Cultivate a culture of blame-free incident analysis and learning.
- Identify, prioritize and execute against opportunities to support and enable engineering teams with availability, performance, efficiency, resiliency, organizational change, incident response.
- Lead and implement a roadmap that delivers the features, scale, and reliability our largest customers need, as well making the system more resilient and enable every engineering team to ship more reliably, safely, securely and efficiently.
- Drive large initiatives by collaborating across multiple teams and partners.
- Communicate effectively with team members, peers, and upper management.
- Coach and mentor engineers and peers to propagate reliability best practices across engineering as a whole.
What you should have:
- 5+ years engineering management experience. Prior management of teams across the stack — frontend, backend, and infrastructure — is a significant plus.
- Experience concurrently leading multiple teams and managers.
- Your technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team.
- Experience interacting with customers, senior executives, and business leads.
- Experience establishing and measuring OKRs or team goals
- A nuanced understanding of diverse and inclusive hiring practices
- Critical thinking, communication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable leading multiple and often contending priorities including making and communicating decisions
- Comfortable with the 10K ft view as well as diving into the details
- Regularly consider business lens and tradeoffs even for deeply technical engineering problems
- Technical and Industry experience.
- 10+ years in software engineering or hands-on site reliability engineering of large-scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience operating SaaS software systems in a production environment
- Experience with AWS or other major cloud providers
- Experience with CI/CD, observability
- Experience developing development platforms and services (e.g., microservices, APIs)
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce, Inc. and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce, Inc. or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.
For Colorado-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $175,600 to $254,700.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, and benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.