Embedded Software / Firmware Engineer - Tesla Energy
What to Expect
The Tesla Energy team is looking for an embedded Software/Firmware Engineer to build software for our AC Charging products (Tesla Mobile Connector, Tesla Wall Connector) which deliver most of the energy to Tesla’s vehicle fleet. If you own an EV, you soon realize that while Superchargers are awesome and enable long road trips, AC charging (level 1/2 charging) is what really powers EV adoption. Our goal is to continually improve AC charging, making it more reliable, scalable, flexible, and smarter.
Our products should be easy to install and use at residential, commercial, and industrial sites. They should intelligently manage and share the power they draw from the site’s power supply. They should allow the charging site managers to be reimbursed by the EV owner for energy delivered, and even make a reasonable profit for providing charging services. They should be orchestrated on a larger scale to balance demand on the grid. They should comply with all the regulations in the markets Tesla operates in.
All of this requires device software which handles the safety critical processes involved in charging, and the communications between units, with web services and with installer devices (cell phones). It includes interfacing with various sensors and actuators, using standard cryptographic techniques for system security, and implementing wireless and wired networking stacks. Pragmatism, willingness to dive into new codebases, eagerness to work with stakeholders, and engineering leadership are key strengths we expect you to bring to the table.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers from other teams to develop designs and specifications.
- Lead the implementation of these designs in the device software.
- Contribute to overall system architecture.
- Provide technical leadership and innovation to improve developer productivity, product reliability, and overall system resiliency.
What You’ll Bring
- Experience developing high quality connected-device embedded software.
- Experience writing unit tests, software/hardware-in-the-loop tests, and practicing test-driven development
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Real-world experience in any of the following categories:
- Internet protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, TLS, HTTP, WebSockets)
- RTOS or Linux-based IoT environments (e.g., FreeRTOS, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Android)
- Embedded protocols (e.g., CAN, RS-485/UART, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, BLE)
- Application and systems languages (e.g., C, C++, Rust)
- Experience with any of the following would be a huge plus:
- Implementation of smart home protocols and standards (e.g., HomeKit, Thread, CHIP)
- EV charging standards (e.g., DIN SPEC 70121, ISO15118, OCPP)
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$104,000 - $348,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.