Power System Controls Engineer
What to Expect
The System Controls and Modeling team is responsible for dynamics modeling, algorithm design, and system controls implementation for energy products.
Tesla is seeking a Power System Controls engineer to join the team in developing high-performance power controls for the Tesla energy ecosystem including the Site Controller, Microgrid Controller, Megapack and Powerwall, and Supercharger. The engineer is expected to perform controls design through all stages starting with concept stage, modeling, implementation, and validation.
What You’ll Do
- Work with firmware/software, product and compliance teams to define new features and develop the controls strategy and algorithms.
- Utilize simulations (Matlab/Simulink) and hardware-in-loop to develop new algorithms, and test/investigate corner-case events.
- Clearly and concisely present and document designs to gather organization buy-in.
What You’ll Bring
- Appropriate combination of degree and/or experience developing, implementing, and testing power systems models or controls.
- Experience with modeling, model development and simulations of inverter-based generation (Simulink preferred).
- Experience with performance of interconnection and engineering studies like stability, protection coordination is preferred.
- Ability to work cross functionally with customers, engineering, business development, and deployment personnel.
- Comfort working with uncertainty.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$104,000 - $348,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.