Software Engineer, Factory Automation - Tesla Energy
What to Expect
Tesla Energy is looking for a motivated Software Engineer to bring the next generation of home and commercial charging products to the market. The successful applicant will join a team of knowledgeable engineers and have an opportunity to solve challenging problems in the energy products space. Expert firmware integration to the system and production line is critical for the delivery of high-quality Tesla products to its customers. The engineer will collaborate closely with hardware, manufacturing, and service engineering to design firmware and automation solutions for an awesome customer and production experience. The candidate will show outstanding technical and organizational skills and an eagerness to keep learning in an ever-evolving environment. High level collaboration and communication skills are highly sought after. The position duties require travel to Tesla factories.
What You’ll Do
- Develop high-quality, testable software.
- Contribute to software architecture design, development of software applications, and integration
- into factory systems. Deliver software that runs the factory.
- Manage enterprise-scale software introductions and subsequent roll-out to future production lines.
- Design robust and exhaustive test procedures for high voltage power electronics, battery module, thermal actuation, solar interface product assemblies.
- Author product test specification of home and commercial charging products for ultra-reliable, cost-effective, and time-sensitive coverage at each step in the assembly process.
- Collaborate with validation teams to develop firmware integration test strategies.
- Develop innovative systems capable of first-of-its-kind high volume production output. Evaluate and design control strategies and algorithms.
- Drive firmware development for performance, scalability, robustness, and tight integration with the hardware.
- Track and communicate project status and risks to the wider organization. Interact with teams of engineers from multiple disciplines.
- Provide technical and leadership excellence for the team. You will make critical decisions and lead from the front with support from experienced engineers.
- Hands-on with hardware bring up, debug issues in the field and devise solution paths.
What You’ll Bring
- BS or higher in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or proof of exceptional skills in related fields, with practical engineering experience.
- Professional software development experience using application layer languages like Golang, Java, C/C++, Python
- Experience shipping code, receiving feedback and being relentless ensuring customer experience is positive.
- Experience documenting software design and authoring specifications.
- Experience writing unit tests and practicing test-driven development
- Capable of delivering high quality Python or Golang software solutions.
- Shows a keen understanding of physics and follows first principles in design and development.
- Excellent communication skills, say something when you don’t know, be available to other team members when questions arise.
- Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances/challenging problems.
- Comfortable with multi-tasking, prioritizing, and working in a fast-paced environment.
- Own assignments and take accountability for overall team success.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate complex technical concepts.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$104,000 - $348,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.