Software Engineering Manager - Tesla Energy
What to Expect
To support Tesla’s overall mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy, the Tesla Energy team brings our world-leading battery technology to the grid. Tesla is leveraging its breakthrough software, electronics, test, and manufacturing capability to develop and deploy grid-connected storage at residential, industrial, and utility levels.
The Energy team is small, committed, and fast-moving. We emphasize collaboration in our work and always encourage each other to have fun while changing the world together. As a member of our team, you will help shape the direction of our products. You must have a genuine passion for engineering products that will fundamentally change the world’s energy infrastructure and thrive working in a fast-paced, scrappy environment.
Tesla Energy is looking for an exceptional Software Engineering Manager to lead the energy products software team. You will drive the direction of the firmware team with outstanding technical and managerial skills. This hands-on role entails significant ownership of our world-class embedded software, ranging from architecture, implementation, validation, and full life cycle ownership.
What You’ll Do
- Set the standard of technical and leadership excellence for the team. You will be capable and enjoy executing any level of the software design and validation process to lead from the front.
- Key owner of software development processes, and improving team efficiency by developing scalable, reliable, and highly re-usable code.
- Develop, enhance and debug new and existing embedded Linux systems, GO control applications, and mobile app frontend and backend. This is a working manager role, must be comfortable and enjoy developing code and driving validation as a hands-on leader while staying balanced to lead the team effectively.
- Lead software/hardware co-design for optimized solutions and schedules.
- Goal setting and measurement for the software team. Lead mentoring and leadership growth.
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, system debugging and code optimization.
- Implement optimal networking solutions using several wireless technologies, including wifi, Bluetooth, cellular, and thread.
- Design and implement protocols to enhance subsystem communications.
What You’ll Bring
- BS or higher in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or proof of exceptional skills in related fields.
- 5+ years in a technical leadership role, experience managing 10+ engineering reports.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience.
- Capable of delivering top-quality code in a real-time embedded Linux environment.
- Deep understanding of networking and internet protocols as Ethernet, IPV6, VLAN, TCP IP, UDP, HTTP, REST, etc...
- Fluent in software fundamentals, including software design, algorithm development, data structures, code modularity, and maintainability.
- Expert knowledge of the embedded design process and tools: compilers, debuggers, build management tools, and source code control.
- Capable of hands-on bring up, debug, and deep code optimization.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$128,000 - $300,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.