Sustaining Engineer - Structural Design Engineering
What to Expect
A Structures Design Engineer is responsible for engineering best-in-class body structure architectures and systems for Tesla’s premium vehicle programs. This role will Conceptualize, Design, Engineer, Release, Develop and Launch Body Structure components and systems.
What You’ll Do
- Create and develop Body-in-White components, system requirements and specifications to achieve best-in-class structural, NVH and crash performance from conceptualization to mass production.
- Create vehicle-aligned component and system targets for function, cost, mass and investment.
- Optimize the concepts and designs with analytical and physical assessments, ensuring conformation to federal regulations governing assigned systems.
- Deliver world-class craftsmanship and fit/finish through the proper implementation of GD&T.
- Interface with Tesla and Supplier manufacturing to develop components that are optimized for the production environment.
- Create component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods.
- Develop design concepts and production designs in both CATIA V5 and CATIA V6.
- Release parts for production in the PLM system.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor of Science or higher in mechanical engineering; or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- 2 years minimum experience in structural design engineering.
- Experience in a development life cycle with substantial system responsibility.
- Proficiency in computer aided design. CATIA experience preferred.
- Understanding of GD&T in design engineering.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs.
- Well versed in selecting materials based on their properties and manufacturing limitations.
- Proven knowledge and application of engineering fundamentals to root cause and solve complex engineering challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with tight timing constraints.
- Knowledge of metal parts manufacturing methods.
- Ability to thrive with ambiguity in design direction and conditions.
- Experience in design for six sigma highly preferred.
- Ability to interpret CAE results and integrate recommendations into
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$80,000 - $300,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.