Process Engineer, Tooling & Industrial Engineering
What to Expect
The Tooling & Industrial Engineering team is responsible for the development and proliferation of custom tooling and service process to assist in the rapid development and maintenance of Tesla’s Energy storage and charging solutions. This skilled and motivated individual will keep pushing this evolving energy industry forward by developing custom service processes for all energy products.
The ideal candidate has a good mix of mechanical, electrical and process engineering skills and possesses a strong set of hands-on prototyping skills. General requirements are:
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, ability to change direction quickly.
- Great mechanical fabrication & electrical prototyping skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive report with stakeholders from multiple areas, as this position works closely with field service engineering, program management and product design team.
- Should have flexibility to work on projects with aggressive timeline and rapidly changing priority.
- Ability to figure out complex mechanical/electrical assembly/disassembly process.
This is an opportunity to become part of a fast-growing world-class organization, supporting the latest commercial energy technologies. We are setting the standard that will continue to transform and revolutionize the commercial energy industry.
What You’ll Do
- Start-to-finish process development ownership: requirement gathering, field validation, PFMEA, EHS review.
- Thoroughly document service processes and perform alpha and beta trials of new service processes/tools.
- Provide onsite training to field service team and energy service trainers on new tools and processes.
- Work as a conduit between the tool user and designer to pass on tool performance feedback.
- Support prototype testing and process creation of new tools.
- Support NPI process and service manual development.
- Propose custom technical solutions to drive tooling/process customization for our Energy storage products.
- Ability to travel to commissioning sites, service sites, and Giga factories 10-15% of the time.
- Perform cycle time study for service process.
What You’ll Bring
- 2-4+ years of proven hands on mechanical or electrical assembly, design or process development experience
- Ability to understand and document the assembly/disassembly process of large complex mechanical, electro-mechanical sub-assemblies
- Rapidly iterate service processes based on field learnings
- Collaborate and communicate with project stakeholders across program management, field support, customers, EHS, technical publications, service engineering, product design, etc.
- Hands on experience of troubleshooting complex mechanical and electrical systems and assemblies.
- Basic understanding of mechanical/electrical design fundamentals.
- Familiarity with lab equipment (Milling Machine, Welding, borescope, oscilloscopes, electronic loads, signal generators, etc.)
- Experience with battery technology.
- Previous work in the solar, energy storage, electric vehicle, or electric vehicle charging industry.
- Experience of working in process (cycle time) efficiency improvement project.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$80,000 - $300,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.