Mechanical Design Engineer - Power Electronics
What to Expect
As a Mechanical Design Engineer in Tesla's Power Electronics team, you will be responsible for the design of cutting edge, world-class power converters used across the entirety of Tesla, from Vehicle and Energy Storage to Solar and Manufacturing. You will be joining an elite team of driven engineers with a huge scope, reach, and potential impact. We are hardcore and the work is fast-paced and challenging – Tesla’s mission and vision must excite you.
Power electronics is one of the few fields that pushes the limits of a wide breadth of mechanical engineering. You will be required know and apply statics & dynamics, fluids & thermals, mechanics & vibration, etc. Our work is highly multi-disciplinary and you will be expected know or learn basic electrical and magnetic physics and even some elementary material science. Strong design skills, a ‘first-principles’ approach to problem solving, and curiosity to learn and develop are must-haves.
At Tesla, our design work doesn't only exist on a computer screen - design engineers will drive prototype builds, engineering testing, and validation of our products. Your day-to-day tasks will involve design, analysis, and testing of all structural, thermal, environmental, and insulating aspects of converter components and their electrical connections. An example would be the detailed design of custom magnetic components such inductors, transformers, filter chokes, etc. You will own the design from conception thru all of its iterations to mass-production.
What You’ll Do
- Modeling and design of mechanical components and assemblies including plastics, sheet metal, heat sinks, insulation systems, magnetic components, high voltage connectors, fasteners, and other components.
- Mechanical design analysis including thermal, CFD, structural, design for assembly, and design for test.
- Solve electronics packaging issues including: electrical isolation, sealing, thermal management, interconnection, shock and vibration management, electromagnetic interference (EMI), RF communications, etc.
- Develop engineering test plans for designs.
- Create drawing packages and manufacturing instructions for parts and assemblies.
- Assist in engineering prototype builds and component fabrication.
- Collaborate with other mechanical, systems, electrical, digital control, manufacturing, industrial design, and test engineers to take designs from prototype through mass production.
What You’ll Bring
- Roles available at multiple seniority levels i.e. Sr, Staff, etc.
- Knowledge of GD&T, finite element analysis, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience using CATIA V5 and/or V6.
- Experience with PLM systems, engineering changes, deviations, BOM structuring, etc.
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Python and ANYSYS.
- Experience with environmental, reliability, safety, and industry standard requirements for automotive, industrial & residential products.
- Basic understanding of electrical design fundamentals.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, diecast, etc.
- Familiarity with PCBAs and PCBA components
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$80,000 - $300,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.