Sr Mechanical Design Engineer - Automation Equipment
What to Expect
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer to create, improve and maintain manufacturing equipment for our battery cell production. You will work closely with process engineers to develop new parts, fixtures and equipment to enable new processes. You will work closely with Design Engineering, Quality and Production to take battery design changes and new cell recipes from initial concept through prototype development and into full production. You will also work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire product lifecycle.
What You’ll Do
· Own and account for manufacturing equipment for one or more of the cell manufacturing machines
· Lead Engineering efforts for the conceptualization and the design of the next generation cell manufacturing equipment
· Lead equipment development to realize new/innovative/improved manufacturing processes from proof of concept through to full scale production.
· Drive improvement of equipment effectiveness, manufacturing tolerance, stability, automation and intelligence.
· Conduct DFMEA and Fault Tree analysis to drive robustness into equipment.
· Conduct equipment design reviews and provide design guidance to design team.
· Drive equipment acceptance tests and document detailed and verified specifications.
· Manage external equipment integrators from equipment development through buyoff
· Create detailed Manufacturing Instructions to document new processes.
· Ability to build proof of concept equipment designs and estimate CapEx for equipment designs.
· Provide hands-on support to the mechanical engineering team to troubleshoot and resolve design issues and implement enhancement to optimize machine performance.
What You’ll Bring
- BS/MS Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on mechanical/manufacturing/design engineer working on mechanical and/or electromechanical systems.
- Proficiency in designing mechanical equipment, fixtures and tooling in 2D and 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred).
- Proficiency creating detailed drawings from solid models for various fabrication techniques (CNC/manual machining, welding, sheet metal forming).
- Proficiency in mechanical assembly (press fits, fastener selection).
- Experience introducing new equipment and new processes into a production environment.
- Knowledge of automated equipment systems and tools - robotic, vision, material handling, Conveyors, PLC, HMI, etc.
- Experience with GD&T.
- Experience of new equipment installations and new product startups.
- Exposure to a wide variety of test and automation systems, production machinery, industrial sensors, data acquisition and I/O devices (e.g., pogo-pins, pressure transducers, temperature controllers, current and power meters, PLCs, etc).
- Experience writing production documentation: SOPs, checklists, flow diagrams.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an aptitude for learning systems quickly.
- Strong written, verbal, presentation and organizational skills as well as the ability to work and manage time independently.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc (MS Office suite)
- Experience in high-speed rotating machinery and automated continuous motion equipment an asset
Compensation and Benefits
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.