Software Development Manager - Transit, Bikes and Scooters
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft started as a donation-based ridesharing network in San Francisco, and today provides millions of rides every day in more than 200 cities. We’re moving to a world where on-demand transportation is a viable alternative to vehicle ownership and we need people with vision and insight to help get us there. Our team has a history of enabling rich and creative features that set the standard for the ride/bike/scooter-sharing industry. We constantly innovate and incorporate cutting edge technologies to make the lives of our communities better.
Our Montreal office developed the first automated bikeshare system in North America (Bixi), a system that has since been deployed in multiple cities around the world: Chicago, London, Mexico (coming soon), Montreal, New York, San Francisco to name a few. These are also some of the biggest bikeshare systems in the world!
Lyft’s team in Montreal is growing rapidly, and we are looking for a Software Development Manager to help us scale. Our Software Engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. Our Software Development Managers are people with varying technical backgrounds and interests -- some are involved in the technical details of their team and others provide general technical direction and oversight. As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build. Interviews and interactions with the other offices in the company will be in English; however, the working environment in Montreal is bilingual.
- Lead a team of talented Software Developers who like to ship code and tackle hard software problems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your Software Engineers and Product Managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our passengers and drivers
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or Computer Science;
- Have between five (5) and seven (7) years’ experience in a development position, and be able to contribute to planning and design discussions
- At least 6 months of Software Development Management experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and committed to creatively driving projects to completion
- Experience working with cross-functional teams of mobile + server, aswell as product managers, designers and data scientists
- Experience working in a Agile in SCRUM environment ;
- Knowledge of testing frameworks, component and unit testing
- Experience with development of microservices is a plus;
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale and are customer-focused, whether they are riders, operators, cities or other Lyft employees
- Bilingual (French/English); Ability to communicate effectively in English (for dealing with English-speaking colleagues outside Quebec)
- You must be available to come into our Montreal office 1-2 times a month
- Extended health and dental coverage options, along with life insurance and disability benefits
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- Access to a Health Care Savings Account
- In addition to provincial observed holidays, team members get 15 days paid time off, with an additional day for each year of service
- 4 Floating Holidays each calendar year prorated based off of date of hire
- 10 paid sick days per year regardless of province
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
Lyft proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft believes that every person has a right to equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, pardoned record of offences, or any other basis protected by applicable law or by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Accommodation for persons with disabilities will be provided upon request in accordance with applicable law during the application and hiring process. Please contact your recruiter now if you wish to make such a request.
Your application has been successfully submitted.