CS EUV Upgrades Engineer (CO2 Drive Laser Specialist)
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The Customer Support (CS) Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) Upgrades Team travels the world advancing the creation of tomorrow’s microchips.
We upgrade EUV lithography equipment with ASML’s cutting edge innovations in semiconductor production. To support leading semi-conductor companies (ASML’s customers) and to receive the latest training on the quickly evolving EUV technology, our staff travels to various locations around the globe including Taiwan, South Korea, the Netherlands, and the United States. The CS EUV Upgrades Team is a force driving maximum performance and availability for ASML’s customers, paving the way to bringing smaller and faster microchips to people’s everyday life.
As a Central Upgrade Engineer, you are crucial to the success of an upgrade on an EUV system by executing the critical/specialized actions. You are the person on the front line to perform highly complex hard/software actions. In some cases, you will be expected to teach (e.g. knowledge transfer) your skills to peers in the field who are permanently located at customer sites in order to prepare them for local ownership and execution. You have the ownership to gather knowledge of new content and be responsible to keep your knowledge up to date with the latest features.
You will be seen as technical expert in the fab as well as outside the fab. You take the responsibility and accountability towards the stakeholders by having planned alignment meeting with your stakeholders in D&E, Integration and Functional Clusters. On top of that, you are an ambassador for ASML as you are working for and at our customers' sites around the globe.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Execute complex and critical hard & software actions on module level and perform system setup during highly complex upgrade packages and high risk field swaps, specifically on a high powered drive laser and its optical path.
- Gather in-depth technical knowledge upfront (encourage cross-sector collaboration with factory work centers or supporting departments) before the assignments. Takes ownership and initiatives to gain detailed technical knowledge based on a self-assessment after each upgrade and define the areas to improve.
- Train other engineers by leading, guiding, and assisting them with the goal of preparing them to execute flawless upgrades on their own.
- Provide feedback (and actively follow-up) towards your stakeholders to improve safety, quality, cycle time and performance, utilize the zero error repeat concept during upgrade executions, and perform post upgrade recovery and analysis together with your team of specialists.
- Due to the buildup knowledge on module level, you are able to deliver ad hoc and remote support in case of hard down of customer tools and be the point of contact for questions from local teams regarding issues on the module level. Take ownership during home based work to be up-to-date on the pending low volume and specific service actions during upgrades/field escalations.
- Active participation in Continuous Improvement projects to improve the product maturity and improve your own working environment by being the voice of the field towards your stakeholders.
- Prepare for actions in the fab according to defined and accepted, efficient and effective ways of working since most actions have direct impact on critical path of projects (e.g. upfront tool, parts, knowledge, and environment checks).
- Must be able to travel up to 60%, up to 5 weeks (continuous) at a time. Domestic and international travel required.
- Must be able to work in a 24 hour x7 day environment, i.e. any shift, any day.
Education and experience
- BSc degree in Technology, Engineering and/or Physics or equivalent experience.
- Employment/Internship/Project experience in a technical field. A focus on lasers, optical components, and control systems is preferred.
- Understanding of ASML EUV CO2 Systems or Cymer DUV Laser is a plus.
- Hands on experience with HW and SW installation, recovery, system set-up, and basic troubleshooting.
- Strong technical background, drive towards solutions, and technical ability to find/understand root cause analysis.
- Able to train, teach, and mentor others on technical concepts.
- Influence team members without power (no direct reports).
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skilled in viewing opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Familiar with ASML culture, CS EUV operational needs and mode of operation is preferred.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Schedule may vary considerably during upgrades at the customer, to include evenings and weekends as well as long hours.
- Must be able to work in cleanrooms where cleanroom and safety clothing/equipment are required.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- This position is located on-site in San Diego, CA. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation. A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The California base annual salary / hourly range for this role is currently $81,750 - $135,250. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
Your application has been successfully submitted.