Manager, Software Engineering
This job is no longer accepting applications.
What you’ll be doing…VizQL Server is the service at the heart of Tableau’s Analytics capabilities and our team is on a mission to ensure customers have a delightful, responsive experience with our product. The Viz Session Management team orchestrates Tableau’s Analytics components within VizQL Server to deliver a performant, scalable experience for users’ interactive viewing and authoring sessions. Your work will directly improve the customer experience and the value of Tableau’s brand for our growing cloud-based Analytics community in Tableau Online and Public, as well as for our larger Enterprise customers.
Some of the things you'll do include…
- Lead your team to understand and improve performance, scaling and resource usage for the C++ and Java code that manages users’ interactive sessions with Tableau’s Analytics platform.
- Work cross-team to define and implement features that increase VizQL Server’s ability to efficiently handle Internet scale traffic and maintain high availability.
- Play a key role in evolving our codebase into smaller, independent services, influencing API standards, system design and operational best practices.
- Work directly with customers and technical support to understand Enterprise-scale customer needs and work with your team and cross-team to define solutions.
- Coach, mentor and grow your team towards career goals and towards increasingly high standards of engineering and operational excellence.
Who you are…
- Educated. You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experienced. You have 10+ years of software development experience, 3+ years as a manager and a track record of delivering high-scale, highly-available services to cloud-hosted environments. You are experienced with Agile development methods and modern DevOps practices. Experience with products shipping both to on-prem and the cloud is a strong plus.
- Technical. You have experience with C/C++ and a managed language such as Java or C#. You have the background to provide effective oversight for engineers diagnosing production behavior of complex, multithreaded issues. You are comfortable with technical deep dives into code, networking, operating systems, infrastructure and storage. Past experience with both Linux and Windows is a plus.
- Strong Communicator. You distill complex information down to the key elements and communicate effectively across disciplines and to various levels of an organization.
- Relentlessly High Standards. You are not satisfied by the status quo and inspire your team to continuously improve the quality of our code, systems and engineering practices. You ensure your team regularly delivers pragmatic solutions that drive towards a long-term architectural strategy.
- A Team Builder. You have the experience to identify and develop strong talent. You build effective teams with a culture of curiosity, collaboration, customer empathy and focus on results.
- You are a Recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!
Your application has been successfully submitted.