Mechanical Design Engineer - Sensing Product Design
- 2+ years of hands-on experience designing mechanical components or systems for a production environment.
- Proficiency in 2D drafting, 3D conceptual modeling (NX preferred), tolerance analysis, and design trade-offs.
- Strong mechanical engineering analytical skills. Experience using FEA to drive design decisions is strongly preferred.
- Ability to collect and use data to inform decisions and fuel debate in an open and intellectually honest manner.
- Clear and concise communication skills with ability to adapt written and verbal messaging for a variety of audiences.
- Cross-disciplinary approach to design; collaborates with a diverse team as well as external vendors to solve complex problems and achieve project goals.
- Demonstrated ability to drive failure analysis to determine root cause and develop effective corrective actions.
- Nice-to-Have Skills:
- Consumer electronics knowledge is preferred; familiarity with capacitive sensing technology is a strong plus
- Knowledge of basic engineering materials (plastics and adhesives) and manufacturing processes, specifically in high-volume mass production
- Detail oriented and capable of handling multiple assignments at once
- Curious, willing to learn new skills, and share knowledge
- Working experience or academic training in:
- Sensors, electrical circuit design, thin film technologies
- Programming and scripting (MATLAB or Python preferred)
- Tolerance analysis and process capability analysis
- Statistical and regression analysis, response surface modeling (JMP or Minitab)
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of mechanical, thermal, static/dynamic environment (Ansys, Abaqus, Comsol)
- Nonlinear material characterization
You will own the end-to-end design, development and validation of sensing technology into
Apple’s portfolio of products. You will work with a talented multifunctional team to generate
design concepts, and as the mechanical expert you will be responsible for engineering analysis
and documentation for your piece of the project. You will be expected to:
Identify design tradeoffs and risks to choose viable paths forward.
Apply good experiment design and the scientific method to reduce design risk early.
Ensure a ‘guarantee by design’ approach with tolerance studies and simulation to ensure designs meet requirements over manufacturing, process, and reliability conditions.
Drive issue resolution to meet Apple’s high customer experience and industrial design standards.
Experience with high volume mass production or consumer electronics are a plus. In the prototyping and validation phases, you will support external manufacturing vendors with process development and root cause analysis for issues found during testing. Support for our vendors includes international travel between 15% and 25%. At the end of the extraordinary team effort, your work will be in the hands of millions of people
making a visible difference in their daily lives.
Education & Experience
Bachelor/MS/PhD degree in engineering
Minimum of 2 years of relevant industry experience or PhD degree in related area.
Pay & Benefits
- At Apple, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay range for this role is between $115,000 and $217,500, and your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
Your application has been successfully submitted.