Software Compatibility Engineer
- Strong programming language skills (pointers, memory management, algorithms) and language skills C, Objective C, or C++
- Excellent foundation in operating system architecture and system-level programming
- Strong knowledge of at least one debugging or dynamic analysis tool (LLDB, GDB, Instruments, Visual Studio debugger, Valgrind, etc.)
- Understanding of and experience with the software development cycle
- Excellent interpersonal skills are a requirement due to the high level of interaction with engineering teams, management, and other organizations within Apple
- Creative thinker and problem solver with meticulous attention to detail
- Passionate, inquisitive, and seeks to take on everyday problems in innovative ways
Compatibility Engineers are responsible for application compatibility for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS releases. We need to understand how applications are created and interact with the operating system. We ensure the broader organization understands how Developers are utilizing our OS and the impact future development has on existing applications and users.
Our tasks include, but are not limited to the support of day-to-day tracking of escalations from 3rd party developers, bug management (screening, reproducing, isolating, and routing) for internally and externally originated problem reports, app debugging, and reporting on new OS features that impact app compatibility. We are also tasked with the development of automation for third-party apps, managing partnerships with key external developers, the creation and maintenance of debugging tools, and infrastructure utilized by the team and by internal engineers.
Education & Experience
Minimum of BS/BA in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Experience in macOS or iOS programming is a strong plus
- Experience with x86 assembly is a plus
- Experience in automation and framework development
- Experience in performance analysis and reporting is a plus
- Familiarity with Perl, Ruby, Python, or Unix shell scripting
Pay & Benefits
- At Apple, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay range for this role is between $130,000 and $196,500, and your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
- Apple employees also have the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder through participation in Apple’s discretionary employee stock programs. Apple employees are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards, and can purchase Apple stock at a discount if voluntarily participating in Apple’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You’ll also receive benefits including: Comprehensive medical and dental coverage, retirement benefits, a range of discounted products and free services, and for formal education related to advancing your career at Apple, reimbursement for certain educational expenses — including tuition. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses, commission payments, and relocation.
- Note: Apple benefit, compensation and employee stock programs are subject to eligibility requirements and other terms of the applicable plan or program.
Your application has been successfully submitted.