Brake, Steering, Stability, Traction Controls Software Engineer
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
What to Expect
The chassis controls software team is looking for multiple brake, steering, stability, traction control engineers to develop and calibrate world class chassis controls software. We are looking for both experienced candidates as well as newcomers eager to learn, who are looking to join a small team with large responsibilities. As a chassis controls software engineer, you will take on the full software development life cycle of chassis control features like Tesla in-house traction control and vehicle stability control from inception to development, calibration, testing, and release.
Our team determines what problems to solve and works cross-functionally across hardware, software, vehicle dynamics, and controls to develop functions and features. We travel to proving grounds across the world to tune the calibration and perform extensive testing in-vehicle. We investigate service issues, address customer feedback, influence next generation hardware and controls architecture, and set the standard for our industry.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and calibrate brake, steering, stability, and/or traction control software
- Product and feature owner – own the full life cycle from idea to shipping
- Extensive travel to proving grounds in the US and around the world
- Organize and lead test trips
- Develop expertise across many systems – torque path, brake controls, chassis systems
- Work with cross functional stakeholders to define and develop internally and externally requested features
- Create and own the roadmap for milestones such as development trips, regulatory approval, public road driving, and customer sign offs
- Develop test cases in-vehicle as well as in simulation
What You’ll Bring
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability
- Proficiency in C
- Vehicle Dynamics and automotive fundamentals
- Interest in at-limit driving, ideally with experience
What's Nice to Have
- Experience calibrating chassis controls systems
- Proficiency in controls
- Proficiency in python
- Familiarity with Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) and/or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Experience with testing and validating safety critical software
- Experience with CAN and Vector CAN tools
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$104,000 - $348,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.