Senior Controls Software Engineer – Battery Management Systems (BMS)
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
What to Expect
*Open to hiring in Palo Alto, CA, San Diego, CA or Austin, TX.
As a Controls Software Engineer on the Battery Management System (BMS) Team, you will have the opportunity to accelerate the delivery of quality Tesla products to consumer markets. You will be responsible for architecting, designing, and implementing firmware validation procedures, equipment, and automation regarding high voltage systems. The Tesla BMS team is extremely focused on the quality of users’ indicators (i.e. range, SOC, power, etc.) which directly plays into the overall experience and the safety of the system as a whole. The team strives to create robust, efficient firmware and your responsibility is to ensure the code quality is extremely high. You will have the opportunity to define, create, and maintain critical algorithmic and simulation infrastructure (i.e. cell plant models, representing complex battery physics). You will also play an important role in our future technology roadmap, including firmware support for new products, packs, cells, etc.. Seeking Sr. FW Engineer, or Staff FW Engineer.
What You’ll Do
- Use a variety of cell and battery pack models, fleet data, and laboratory test data to work with our controls team to create state-of-the-art feedback control and estimation algorithms for Tesla’s high voltage battery packs.
- Design, implement and test cutting-edge algorithms for run-time BMS logic to derive State-of-Charge, State-of-Health, State-of-Power, and State-of-Energy computations.
- Develop and enhance existing battery models to ensure Real vs. Simulation accuracy.
- Design rapid test iteration framework for developers to use for quick, at-desk spot checks.
- Work cross-functionally with cell modeling, firmware, and battery safety organizations.
What You’ll Bring
- BS or MS in computer, mechanical, electrical, aerospace, or materials engineering or proof of exceptional skills in related fields with practical software engineering experience
- Greater than 2 years of experience with battery algorithm design
- Ability to think creatively and produce “outside of the box” solutions
- Proficiency in C and C++
- Experience with modeling of lithium-ion cells
- Simulating dynamic models of electrical systems
- Have knowledge in linear systems analysis and estimation algorithm design
- Capable of analyzing algorithm performance in MATLAB/Simulink
- Strong communication and preference for working in teams
- Basic experience, understanding, and intuition for the electrochemical physics of lithium-ion cells
- Experience in specifying or executing tests on cells in a laboratory environment
- Understanding of diagnostic techniques for cells and battery pack components
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$104,000 - $348,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.