Director of Data Science and Machine Learning
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Degreed is the upskilling platform that connects learning to opportunities. We integrate everything people use to learn and build their careers—skill insights, LMSs, courses, videos, articles, and projects—and match everyone to growth opportunities that fit their unique skills, roles, and goals.
The Director of Data Science & Machine Learning leads Degreed’s data science/machine learning team to drive strategic initiatives and build novel DS/ML solutions for our product. The Director will report to the Head of Data Science and collaborate closely with Product and Engineering leadership. This person will scale teams, processes, technology, and culture to meet the growing needs of the business. They will provide hands-on mentorship, technical judgment, and leadership. And they will build strong relationships and communication across teams, departments, clients, partners, and prospects.
Day In The Life
- Plan and direct all aspects of data science/machine learning activities and projects within their team
- Lead and grow Degreed’s data science team, which focuses on developing production-grade services and capabilities to support new product features
- Be a technical leader and mentor for the data science team
- Leverage best practices in machine learning and software engineering to develop scalable and maintainable new product features and capabilities
- Partner with Engineering teams to manage and grow a scalable data architecture and infrastructure for training and operating machine learning models, running experiments, and building/deploying services
- Partner with Product teams to balance short and long-term needs for both product and technical roadmaps
- Drive a data science culture that inspires and motivates the team to succeed, and that instills best-in-class software engineering and machine learning practices
Who You Are
- You are an excellent data science leader – you’ve been a data scientist and built high-functioning data science teams
- You have demonstrated strong software engineering skills, and know how to build software that scales
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in managing and growing high-performing teams
- 6+ years of hands-on experience in machine learning, predictive modeling, and software engineering
- You operate with empathy and strive to cultivate a work environment that is both supportive and challenging
- You’re passionate about helping your team develop new skills and advance in their careers
- Possess strong communication, collaboration, and documentation skills
- You are a lifelong learner and passionate about learning new things and taking on new challenges
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to work autonomously with minimal direction
- Comfortable and productive working remotely
- Strong NLP experience is a plus, as is experience with Kubernetes
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
See Degreed Jobs for more details on Degreed and why you should come work with us!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The upskilling platform that connects learning to opportunities. Success is no longer defined by where you’ve been, but what you can do.