This job is no longer accepting applications.
Great visuals tell stories that touch hearts, open minds, and even influence what we buy, eat, and do. That’s why CrowdRiff exists: to connect brands and consumers alike with the captivating imagery that makes a real impact. As a market leader in travel and tourism technology, we help get people excited to scuba dive in Tahiti, explore Napa’s wine country, and bungee jump in Queenstown. CrowdRiff’s visual marketing platform helps marketers source, organize and publish visuals at scale.
Our team is a quirky and diverse crew that has one thing in common: our love for great visuals. Every day, we work across desks, departments and even oceans to reach our goals, and delight our customers. If you’re passionate about helping everyone see what matters, you’re just our type.
Your Role: Technical Lead
The Technical Lead is technical owner of a product and is responsible for owning and guiding the development of all software released by their team, balancing technical concerns, product development, and delivery timelines, while ensuring that a high quality bar is met from both a software design and a product specification perspective. They are responsible for directly managing a team of individual contributors by guiding them technically, pushing for technical excellence and the addressing of important technical debt, and owning the quality of the final output of the team. They also work with the Product Manager and Product Designer to facilitate the breaking down of larger projects into smaller milestones, and estimate at a high level on behalf of their team in longer-term project discussions.
In this role you will have an opportunity to work on a product that allows creators to build Web Stories (https://stories.google) about their travel experiences and help over 800 destinations inspire people when they eventually get ready to travel again. You will work, learn, and develop with a very agile team which includes product managers, designers, and developers who are all invested in your success. You’ll primarily work with TypeScript, React, Redux, Node, Express and the Google Web Stories framework.
What you'll do:
Engineering Management & Technical Leadership
- Coaching, mentoring and managing a team of 3-4 engineers through 1:1s, pair programming and knowledge sharing, and providing and facilitating knowledge sharing opportunities within their team.
- Assigning and delegating projects and work within the team to help spur technical growth of team members, while also delivering against project timelines with quality.
- Mentoring team members and guiding them toward consistent, logical coding and software design patterns.
- Maintaining a high quality bar for the team’s output by establishing and iterating on code review standards, testing standards, and software design processes.
- Introducing and driving adoption of tools and practices that help the team work more effectively, efficiently, and with greater quality.
- Supporting the long-term organization-wide technical initiatives by facilitating the adoption of technical best practices within the team, and owning the final software design and architecture of the team’s output.
- Articulating and developing the business case for managing technical debt within the team, and pushing for the resolution of important technical debt.
- Keeping up-to-date with technical trends in industry that are relevant to the team and company, determining their usefulness and technical application within their team and the company, and influencing their development within their team.
Technical Project Management
- Helping the Product Manager develop a clear, unambiguous roadmap in concert with the Product Designer. The roadmap prioritizes and balances the technical strategy of the engineering organization, and product growth and iteration.
-Managing deadlines by holding the team accountable to their commitments, and constantly pushing for accurate estimation and project planning.
- Communicating clearly and proactively inside and outside the team when there are technical issues that arise with software released by their team, and following up accordingly
- Interfacing with technical architects to help shape the technical strategy of the organization.
- Working with technical architects to ensure that the team’s development practices and software align with the organization’s technical strategy.
- Escalating product opportunities identified by the team.
- Setting the standards for work ethic, engineering excellence, communication and collaboration within their team, through their actions and through positive and negative reinforcement of behaviour.
- Crafting growth plans and providing opportunities for individual contributors to take on additional scope and increased responsibilities so that they are able to progress to more senior roles.
-Building and fostering a cohesive team environment that favours collaborative problem-solving, and enables the growth of more junior team members through mentorship.
- Coding, providing code reviews, and facilitating and contributing to architecture discussions when necessary, to help drive the team towards achieving their goals and reach technical decisions in a timely manner.
What you'll need:
- 3+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of experience working with common web development frameworks
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and issues to technical and non-technical people alike, and adjust their presentation accordingly.
- Has a focus on quality and producing work that is as limited in its number of defects as possible.
- Focused on prioritizing customers’ needs and long-term business success in their development work.
- Pushes to achieve results and sets aggressive goals for themselves and their team.
- Navigating ambiguity: Able to motivate themselves to clear roadblocks and prioritize important work in the face of unclear requirements.
- Able to understand others’ points of view and work well within the constructs of a cross-functional team.
- Looking to always sharpen their skills and learn new things both technically and professionally.
- Interesting, challenging work + a friendly, inclusive culture
- Generous vacation policy and unique travel-focused benefits. You’ll even be able to visit our client destinations around the globe
- Health Benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Regular team-building events
- Flexible work hours
- Monthly Travel Benefit
- Weekly internal learning activities & quarterly hack events
Excited yet? Here’s more about us … visit our website or check us out on Instagram.
CrowdRiff is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
It's time to make visuals the center of your marketing.