SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, MEDIA INFRASTRUCTURE (remote)
Wondering how Discord stores the thousands of pictures, videos and memes you and your friends have been sending to each other over the past few years? Join the Media Infrastructure team and find out!
We’re responsible for storing, processing and serving 100PB+ worth of user generated media to our users in a reliable, cost effective, safe and secure way.
As a Media Infrastructure engineer, you will be directly responsible for the end to end journey of media on Discord. You will also create the building blocks our product teams are using to launch new features allowing our users to express themselves with media.
What you'll be doing
- Solve incredibly hard scaling challenges.
- Ensure our systems are fast, reliable and efficient.
- Collaborate with product teams to add new features.
- Write code but also manage our infrastructure.
- Work with a talented team of engineers who have built one of the largest media serving infrastructure in the world.
What you should have
- 5+ years of experience writing and designing backend systems.
- Experience solving complex distributed system problems.
- Experience operating systems handling 1M+ qps.
- Familiar with open source software, and not afraid to dig into the source code of a library to find the answer you’re looking for.
- Comfortable making tradeoffs when leading projects to ensure constant progress.
- Experience with Rust or Python.
- Experience working with systems deployed in a cloud environment (GCP, AWS, etc.)
- Experience processing and manipulating media.
- Knowledge of devops tools like Salt or Terraform.
- Open source project contributions.
- You are a Discord power user and have built bots or apps interacting with our platform.
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $186,000/year + equity and benefits *Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $167,400/year + equity and benefits *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
CREATE SPACE FOR EVERYONE TO FIND BELONGING.