SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER - USER SAFETY
The User Safety team at Discord builds the infrastructure, internal tools, and front-end features that keep users safe on Discord. Keeping users safe is an essential contributor to growth at Discord, and as a company committed to helping our users find community and belonging, it’s just the right thing to do. That’s why the output of the team is so important.
As an engineer on the User Safety team you will work on all aspects of our stack — from the infrastructure to route and annotate reports, to the powerful internal tools that our Trust & Safety team uses to detect and respond to problems, to the user-facing features that provide transparency and empower users to control their Discord experience.
Join our small team in taking on the immense challenge of designing the future of safety at Discord!
What you'll do
- Scale and improve Discord’s incident routing service
- Find ways to utilize our internal ML models to prioritize and automate report resolution
- Build efficient internal tools for responding to reports and investigating safety problems
- Launch user-facing features that improve the end-to-end safety experience
What you should have
- 4+ years experience working on full-stack products or systems using Python + Flask, Typescript + React, or similar technologies
- Comfort working in undefined environments, and experience with creating pragmatic solutions to complex problems
- Confidence in taking a high-level goal and working with others to achieve a shippable solution
Nice to have
- Experience building tools for content moderation, customer service, or data-driven investigation
- Experience designing and deploying scalable services using components such as Kafka, PubSub, GCP/AWS, and Kubernetes
- Experience building delightful user-facing products in the Safety domain.
- You have a moral compass that navigates and motivates you.
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $186,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $148,800/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
CREATE SPACE FOR EVERYONE TO FIND BELONGING.