This job is no longer accepting applications.
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively and as of August, 900,000+ learners have taken more than over 6.5M class hours. We've more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 118 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $130M since founding with most of that still in the bank. With sales of over $100M in 2020, more than 10x growth over 2019. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative edtech company in the world and in the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents.
Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise have become central to many more families, teachers, and organizations than ever before. We're committed to access and impact, so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need.
We started in the summer of 2020 with 100,000 free learning hours and an initial 5 million dollars in fundraising. Our work moving forward is to continue providing this support while scaling our impact to reach more learners, support more communities, and address different barriers to learning.
We are building a team of experienced and innovative individuals committed to equity and access in education to work alongside Outschool.com. Outschool’s team came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents. We value lifelong learners from all perspectives and walks of life, and we hold bringing others in as a core value of our company. We are committed to building a team that can bring a variety of both life and professional experiences to their role.
Are you inspired to ensure all children, especially those who come from low-income or marginalized families, have access to high-quality, rich, and inspiring educational content, teachers, and supportive communities? Outschool.org, the non-profit arm of Outschool, is looking for a passionate and dedicated Development Director to drive all fundraising efforts, cultivate donor relationships and tell the stories of impact and future potential of Outschool.org.
We are looking for someone who flourishes in a swiftly shifting environment while seamlessly developing systems and strategic fundraising plans. We are excited about someone who sees building a team as an opportunity and a 15 million annual fundraising target as an exciting challenge. Currently, Outschool.org has served 20,000+ learners, given $2M+ of free classes and 100,000+ hours of education to learners in need.
- Develop and drive our overall fundraising strategy, including oversight of grant applications, high net worth donor relationship management, individual donor engagement, and institutional partnerships
- Demonstrate leadership in your day-to-day work, whether supporting senior executives and board members in their roles in donor relationship management or partnering with colleagues across the organization
- Use expert communication skills to build Outschool.org to brand, increase awareness and inspire high worth donors and institutions to support the mission of removing barriers to learning for all children
- Identify gaps in fundraising and community development efforts, create systems and processes to scaffold team efforts toward goals and organizational impact
- Work with the Executive Director to develop, manage and report fundraising goals, including monthly performance and long-term planning
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 4+ years of development, fundraising, and donor relationship management, ideally with 2+ years in the K-12 space
- 4+ years of experience fundraising $10-20 million, annually
- Understanding the importance and skill of storytelling, impact measurement, and community building
- You are known for being patient, tenacious, and are energized by formidable obstacles
- Ability to balance a big-picture perspective with attention to detail
- You know how to apply your intuition and lived experience in complement with analytics and data
- You listen deeply and understand the hardships of others; you ask a lot of questions and know how to support, develop, and inspire others to achieve impact and meet goals
- Excellent communication skills, from high stakes presentations to working with our grantees or representing our organization
- You understand the needs and gaps in nurturing a love of learning in underserved learning communities and populations.
- You care deeply about equity, learning, and education and want to make it better
- Experience developing fundraising strategies that employ digital marketing, grants, large donors, and individual donors
- Experience developing and executing marketing, outreach, and mass communication strategies
- Understanding of the K-12 space across traditional public, private, and charter schools
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health and Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO and Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Remote First: With over 50% of our team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Where Kids Love Learning!