This job is no longer accepting applications.
We believe that starting a business should be easier, and that hard work and careful business planning should be acknowledged, recognized, and rewarded. At Hatch, we are building software and financial products to help business owners start, plan, and grow their businesses. We started with a business line of credit with transparent and easy-to-understand terms, and can’t wait to show you what we’re building next. Hatch is a fintech startup headquartered in San Francisco, but with a remote presence all over the country.
As an Android Engineer at Hatch, your work will have a tangible impact on our Android app - how it looks, how it runs, and how it's built. In order to achieve your goals, you’ll find yourself collaborating with our backend team, iOS compatriots, product managers, and product design team.
This is a unique opportunity to work on an agile, high-functioning team, enhancing and refining everything from feature development to testing. We prioritize clear communication. Ideas conceived in one-off discussions will make their way into code quickly!
The Hatch Android App
The Android team (and app) is 100% Kotlin, with an eye toward how Kotlin Multi Platform will make our lives easier moving forward! We're on a standard "Square" stack of Retrofit/Moshi/Dagger2/SQLDelight, with an MVVM+coroutines arch to keep things testable and agile. We use Github Actions for CI and have one-click deploys to our internal testers. We don't use Jetpack Compose yet; maybe you'll be the one to add it!
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum three (3) years of experience building and maintaining Android apps using Java/Kotlin + Android Studio – ideally in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- A good grasp of programming fundamentals – but we don't care if you can reverse a binary tree
- The ability to work and thrive in a small group – strong communication, collaboration, and empathy.
You'll succeed in this role if you:
- Have experience with some subset of: JUnit, Dagger, Moshi, SQLDelight, Coroutines, Jetpack Navigation, ArchComponents, or Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Have experience creating readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code
- Are looking forward to shipping reliable real-time accounting and money movement features moving millions of dollars.
- Are excited to collaborate with backend engineers and designers to bring a feature or product live to tens of thousands of businesses.
- Resourcefulness and comfort with ambiguity: we won't know the answers to everything, but we'll figure it out together!
- If nothing else, good Google-fu and StackOverflow reading ability.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting.
(principals only – no C2C/recruiting/staffing agencies, please!)
What You Can Expect
In your first week, you'll onboard onto the app, architecture, and any unfamiliar tech (e.g. coroutines/Flow). In your first month, you'll have shipped a number of features and bugfixes, and maybe spent some time investigating slicker CI tooling or Gradle scripts.
In following months, you might find yourself taking on a more weighty projects, owning entire user flows, refactoring cruft, and adding better tests, analytics, or monitoring. We're a small team, and we'll encourage you to try new libraries or frameworks! You might even write some backend code, since our backend is 100% Kotlin as well.
The mobile group has good line-of-sight on priorities, and there's plenty of work to go around. You'll join a small-but-nimble team with many growth opportunities, all while building an app to help small businesses prosper!
• Best-in-class Platinum HMO and PPO Health plans. Fully covered Beam Dental and VSP Vision insurance.
• 401k plan with 4% company matching.
• Monthly subsidy for health and wellness.
• Monthly subsidy for transit and commute.
• Untracked, flexible vacation policy (we encourage folks to take one week a quarter.)
• The Hatch Match: Annual donation match to a charity of your choice.
Hatch does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Modern Banking for Small Businesses