Senior Content Accountant
Fueled by the broad appeal of the instantaneous enjoyment of unlimited original and licensed movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to 222 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages.
Have you ever wondered how we assess and decide how we account for content in our financial statements? Are you curious and invested in and looking to contribute to automated workflows for Accounting? Do you enjoy reviewing and analyzing large data that are used in critical business decisions? If yes, we are looking for you to join other stunning colleagues in Los Angeles who share a passion to continue to build an expertise in streamed content accounting.
This role provides you the chance to join a team that is committed to transforming and redefining the perception of what entertainment is and how it can be enjoyed through the Netflix service. With continued investment in a slate of content including original productions, content licensing and international expansion, it's a great time for you to join Netflix.
QUALITIES WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Fundamentals of Accounting - we'd like you to have 6+ years of experience under your belt backed by a bachelor's degree in accounting and/or finance. While not required, it’s preferred you are on track for completion (or already completed) in obtaining a CPA license or a post graduate degree.
- Attention to detail + love for data - We pride ourselves on producing high quality work, scrutinizing important numbers and formulas for accuracy, and using spreadsheets and system data to reconcile accounts and solve problems and questions; we like our accountants to love Excel pivot tables and be unphased by large data sets.
- Enthusiasm and quick learning - Enthusiasm for designing and building new accounting systems and making improvements to existing systems. Prior work with contract review (revenue, leases, or other complex documents), data entry and analysis, research, and other problem-solving tasks is helpful, but we understand you probably have never done content accounting. That’s OK with us because we’ll teach you as long as you’re excited about learning.
- Curiosity and passion - Our team members ask probing questions, challenge the status quo, make changes to improve processes, and have fun while doing it all; a positive attitude and never settling for “good enough” are key, along with adding into our unique company culture.
- You have strong communication skills (both written and oral) and are viewed as a strong cross-functional business partner. You should also have a strong accounting background and be comfortable navigating technical accounting guidance.
- Collaborate inclusively - Partner with team members and authentically recognize, understand, and appreciate differences, and connect across these differences by being mutually adaptive.
- Adaptable - You have to be comfortable in an ever-changing eco-system of content, finance and accounting issues and projects.
- You embrace and advocate the Netflix culture and our long-term view.
- Based in our Hollywood office, reporting to the senior management team in Content Accounting.
- Part of the team responsible for the financial integrity of the company's content commitments, assets (capitalization), liabilities (payments), and expenses (amortization).
- Prepare and review monthly accounting entries, reconciliations, CFO metrics, and other ad hoc analysis.
- Management and accounting (in proprietary systems) of content license contracts and understand full cost of each produced show, with focus on ensuring appropriate accounting by researching guidance.
- Analyze content agreements and transactions (e.g. licensing contracts, talent deals etc.), to interpret contractual terms and understand the application of our accounting policies.
- Identify and drive process improvements and own projects such as accounting policy review.
- Manage cross-functional relationships with teams outside of Content Accounting, including those across finance and content acquisition organizations.
As Netflix continues its content expansion, the accounting and operational complexities are also growing. There are new challenges we're facing, and there's plenty of fun we're having. Come be a part of it and help make a positive impact!
Due to the nature and scope of this role, we will need to run a background check prior to starting with us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.