Software Engineer (L4) - AuthServices
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 220+ million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. This is made possible, in part, by an engineering organization that enables our customers to stream content and our studio to produce content.
The Auth Services team at Netflix is a central security team that supports the Netflix workforce and partners by creating and operating Authentication & Authorization enforcement services for users & applications. Our IAM use cases will continue to become more complex as we increase investment in Netflix Originals content production ecosystems, including Gaming. Our workforce and partners are global, and they access our information with different patterns from a variety of locations and devices. Balancing security and ease of access supporting fast-paced timelines, we realize that the traditional corporate network security perimeter no longer meets our requirements. Instead, we invest in Identity as a perimeter in the open internet, with reliable and strong authentication and authorization service to protect our information.
This role is a unique opportunity to contribute to building services from the ground up with security, large scale, high availability, high throughput, and low latency in mind! You will be part of the Identity and Access Control team, focusing on core Identity functionality to support all of the Netflix ecosystem (Enterprise, Studio, and Gaming). You will participate in implementation, operation and maintenance, tech debt reduction, and performance and efficiency enhancement efforts for some of our foundational services. You will be responsible for a mix of project-based development and operational coverage to ensure our services remain nimble. This is a great opportunity to learn and grow in this field while continuing to have an impact on improving our Enterprise IAM capabilities.
If you are curious about some of the team’s work, you can watch this Building Identity for an Open Perimeter conference talk by our IAM engineers. Another recommended read is this blog post about how product and application security operates in the Netflix culture.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- You are a pragmatic software engineer with a strong technical background in developing secure, low-latency, resilient, and high-availability services
- In-depth experience with at least one programming language is preferred; we’ve invested heavily in Java but have services built in other languages such as Go, Python, NodeJS, and more
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- You are able to independently identify, compare and contrast options to make the right choice of technologies (design pattern, persistence, caching, performance, etc.) suitable for the task
- You have experience working on complex systems running on top of Cloud platforms(e.g., AWS, Microsoft Azure, GCP)
- You prefer collaboration and problem-solving over process and mandates, comfort in dealing with ambiguity, and self-driven decision making
- Though prior formal experience is not required, you should have an interest in product security and growth in the Identity and Access domain
Nice to have:
- Experience working with authentication and authorization protocols/frameworks (OpenID Connect, SCIM, OAuth or SAML)
- Experience with gRPC, GraphQL, NoSQL technologies such as Hive, Presto, Spark, or Cassandra
We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.