Junior Game Designer - Live Ops
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing and we are scaling our team to bring our games to more players.
You will be working on the Game Design team of our world-class live-ops team, which leads the industry in supporting and growing live games. We design, build, release and improve on new features and we aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn. The team is metrics driven and autonomous in its decision making.
Party in my Dorm is a highly popular free-to-play game in the midst of rapid growth with a community of over 100,000 dedicated players who love our game and are incredibly excited for the work we do. The game has the population of a small city, with a player driven trade economy, a passionate community and years of content. With a focus on fashion, relationships, stories and home decor, it often surprises people to learn that it’s also one of the most hardcore PVP games on the mobile market.
Joining us as a Junior Game Designer on PIMD, you will be given ownership over challenging and satisfying live ops work, as part of an incredible team of designers, engineers, artists, and community managers. You will design, analyze and iterate on game features, events and content, in collaboration with our data science and marketing teams. You will have regular 1 on 1 time with your design lead, with a focus on career growth so that you can one day start your own game at A Thinking Ape.
Things you will work on
- Design, plan and implement content into our games
- Optimize content to increase retention, engagement and monetization
- Work with our engineering, community and creative teams to implement improvements to our existing content systems
- Balance virtual goods, in game currencies, and game assets for our products
- Analyse user data and feedback, to pitch and develop new game mechanics for our products
- Improve processes within our content generation pipelines
Who you are
Above all else, you are someone who loves mobile game systems and game economies. You have experience working on free-to-play games. You are passionate about learning the complexities of driving growth through data analysis and community building. You understand the power of social games that tap into underserved market segments like Party in my Dorm as well as the deep progression and social gameplay of strategy games like Kingdoms of Heckfire.
The perfect candidate will also be a passionate, high level player in the free-to-play fashion, home decor design and life simulation games like Party in my Dorm, and/or march battle games like Kingdoms of Heckfire. You play them daily, understand how they monetize, and have a strong desire to be involved in creating one yourself. You understand how these games work and create long term value through content systems. You have a keen understanding of what it takes to have a thriving, healthy player community within a competitive game community.
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are
- Worked on a free-to-play march battle game, life simulation, fashion, home decor, cooking or farming game and have a strong understanding of the game mechanics and monetization in this genre
- You are proficient at working with spreadsheets and understand the advantages of different approaches to organizing design data and getting it in game
- Knowledge of systems design, combat balance, merchandising and economy design
- Experience working with customer feedback and growing game communities
- Bonus: Understanding of mobile UX design including creating wireframes and user flows
- Bonus: Experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics based decision making
Other things that help are
- Experience playing SLGs, Life Sims, March Battle, Kingdom Builders, RPGs
- Marketing/user acquisition
- Working with a large community on a live game
- Previous game design experience in other genres
- Basic finance (P&L)
- Visual design/art
- Narrative design
We have committed to a remote first approach with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver when safe to do so. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This means our roles are currently open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST.
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
We build communities. To do this to the best of our abilities, we need a workforce that reflects the diverse player communities we serve. We believe a variety of perspectives and experiences allows us to make better decisions and understand the needs of our players. We work hard to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and feel like they belong at ATA.
Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification and let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We build communities. News, updates and musings from one of Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers. For customer support contact us through in-game h...