Software Development Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Briza is building the interface to commercial insurance, for developers. We’re making it easy for developers to embed insurance experiences into their platforms. By writing once to the Briza API, developers can access the many products and carriers required to create great customer experiences for small commercial insurance. Briza allows developers to connect directly into core underwriting systems to retrieve quotes, bind business, collect payment and issue and service policies, instantly.
As a Software Development Manager, you’ll build and manage a team of software professionals. At the core of it, you will support them to deliver their best work and set them up for success, in addition to coaching them to grow professionally. You will help them break down complex projects into deliverables and help them stay focused on the right priorities. You will dedicate yourself to Briza’s and their own personal growth, helping them direct actionable personal development plans, and guiding them as they look to achieve those goals. While we don’t expect you to spend the majority of your time coding, you will jump in at times to gain deep knowledge of our product, and empathy for the developer experience.
Along with the entire team at Briza, you will foster a culture of constant improvement, identifying and implementing strategies that continue to level up your team and the broader Briza engineering team.
Briza is a Series A funded venture, based in Toronto with distributed team members across the globe. We are a talented team that is growing quickly!
Who you are:
- You have demonstrated success leading engineering teams, in particular at growth stage organization. You have a diverse set of experiences that allow you to work through and solve complex technical challenges.
- You communicate often and with intent, ensuring your team members are aligned to Briza’s goals, and helping them stay focused on impacting them.
- You are passionate about building great software for our customers. Demonstrated experience with architecture and design of scalable products that are loved by end-users.
- You are dedicated to hiring the best people, and know how to attract them. You will lean in on recruiting and hiring, and see it as a shared goal with the entire Briza team.
- You are a great communicator who can take complex and nuanced problems and can simplify them.
- You do not shy away from providing honest, thoughtful and actionable feedback to your team members (and encourage them to reciprocate), as well as provide feedback upward.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with your team to ensure they are focused on the right things, and coaching them through technical challenges.
- Play an integral role in onboarding new members, helping them gain clarity in early days and setting them up for long term success.
- Cultivate trust among the team, fostering an environment that members are comfortable receiving and delivering feedback.
- Uphold and iterate on engineering best practises such as creating proposal/RFCs and writing documentation
- Having regular 1-1s with your team, to ensure they are supported, and unblocking any roadblocks in their way. You will put in place pathing and development plans for them, and work towards their personal goals.
- Align your team and communicate with intent around Briza’s customer needs, product vision and business objectives.
- Work with teams across the product organization to collectively figure out the best solutions for our customers.
Briza is hard at work creating the most elegant and easy to use infrastructure for connecting insurance carriers with developers for small business customers. We’re creating the first transaction processing rail that enables developers to offer real time, online, commercial insurance quotes and contracts to small businesses. What we’ve all seen happen to restaurant booking, travel booking, and auto insurance, is now finally coming to the more complex world of commercial insurance. This is the natural evolution of the insurance business into a digitally enabled world. What used to take days over the phone, email and fax, will now happen in minutes.
At Briza, we are committed to building a diverse team and fostering an inclusive work environment. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Small Business Insurance made Delightful.