Full-Stack Software Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We're looking for Full-Stack Software Engineers to join our Engineering team. In this role, you will build innovative payments products that delight both engineering and finance teams. As one of our first engineers, you will help shape the engineering culture of a fast-growing startup.
The core platform at Modern Treasury sits between our customers and their banks and accounting systems. In the same way that Segment has removed the need to integrate with multiple systems like Mixpanel and Google Analytics, we have built a generalized system for payment operations. This is a massive opportunity because every company has complex payments needs.
Our API is often the most critical piece of infrastructure that our customers use. We place a high premium on building robust, scalable systems with well-thought out interfaces for our users.
We believe in using the best tool for the job, rather than always using open source or building things ourselves. We actively embrace open source in parts of our system but aren't afraid to roll our own solution for things like writing and parsing bank files. We also contribute to open source (for example, https://www.moderntreasury.com/journal/continuous-accounting-building-on-an-open-source-library).
In addition to our API, we have had a web platform since day 1 that is used by accountants, controllers, and engineers. They use our platform to do things like manage payment workflows and monitor their business. As an engineer, you will work with our product team to build features for these users.
ABOUT MODERN TREASURY
Modern Treasury builds payment operations solutions. Our tools automate the full cycle of money movement—from payment initiation, through approvals, to reconciliation—and are accessible through web application or API.
We believe that payment operations is at the core of every business. We’re a lean team and we work hard to build outstanding products for our customers. When we succeed, our customers grow.
WEEK BY WEEK
During your first week you will:
- Onboard with our team
- Ship your first commit on day one
- Take on 1-2 small tickets to address bugs or make minor improvements. These will have both front-end and back-end components to help you gain familiarity with our codebase
- Read our favorite industry primers
During your first six weeks you will:
- Ship your first major project
- Write your first blog post. We love writing at Modern Treasury (and have been on the front page of Hacker News multiple times)
- Learn how we use analytics services like Segment and Amplitude to measure our products and usage
- Shadow a few customer and partner meetings every week
During your first six months you will:
- Work with our product team to scope and ship products for both our engineering and finance users
- Help us grow our team by mentoring new engineers, writing internal tooling and documentation, and interviewing new hires
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE
- Experience building web applications professionally for 3+ years
- Experience working with SQL/Relational databases
TECHNOLOGIES WE USE
- Ruby on Rails for our backend framework
- React for our front end framework
- Postgres for our database
- Redis for caching
- AWS for infrastructure and hosting
- Docker for containerization
- GitHub for source code management
- Buildkite for continuous integration
Modern Treasury is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Modern Treasury considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The one place to keep a business’s money flowing