This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who we are:
Relationships? We’re all about ‘em. Common Room is focused on enabling deeper relationships between organizations and the people who use their products and services.
We believe that ‘community’ is more than a buzzword—it’s a powerful collection of people who empower each other by sharing knowledge, ideas, feedback, code, curiosity, and enthusiasm. And we believe that it’s time to enable a new type of relationship between organizations and their community members - one that’s based on authenticity, collaboration, and communication across platforms like Slack, Twitter, Discord, GitHub, Intercom, and more. At Common Room, we’re building more than the tools that help organizations build and nurture their communities—we’re building a whole new way of working with the people that matter most. We’re leading a new category specifically focused on the importance of community and, alongside our customers, we’re determining what a best-in-class experience for community-centric growth should look like, feel like, and what it should deliver.
You + Common Room? You’d be joining a team that revels in asking hard questions, collaborating gladly, and making decisions quickly—a team that values simplicity, passion, trust, each other, and our customers above all.
So hello! Please, knock on our door. We'd love to meet you.
Why we need you:
At Common Room, our team is the most valuable asset we have. You will be on the front-line: growing, empowering, and unlocking the potential of a highly functioning engineering team. It is crucial that these teams scale in order to achieve product milestones.
You have the capability and autonomy to build a diverse organization, from outreach to close. You collaborate with some of the best product, design and business teams to help execute the product vision. You lead and inspire teams of engineers to deliver impact for our customers, while also helping them grow individually. As a coach, you share your experiences to help your team develop and grow their own careers, and as a manager you give them the direction they need to accomplish their goals. Your leadership and EQ affect your team directly, but also help craft and strengthen the culture of our company as we build.
You would enjoy being a member of our team if you:
- Have 5+ years experience as an engineer and 2+ as an engineering manager/lead
- Can either scale down to be hands on before increasing your span of influence, or confident that you can scale up with the company as we grow
- Start with customer problems, and map them to efficient execution with your team
- Understand the difference, and can switch between the roles of player, coach, mentor, and manager with ease
- Can collaborate effectively with other experienced engineers, designers, and PMs
- Lead with empathy, humility, decisiveness, and conviction
- Are experienced with building at startup speed, or excited to experience and embrace it
- Are capable of working with engineers to help them make high quality technical and non-technical tradeoffs
- Are comfortable with navigating ambiguity
- Bring your authentic self to work, and engage in candid + respectful feedback
- Understand the virtues of building a diverse team
- Are able to recruit and grow the engineering team as the company scales
- Enjoy the journey as much as the destination, but never lose sight of the destination
- Demonstrate pride, ownership, and accountability for your work, and expect the same from those you work with
Our current tech stack:
We choose tools that help solve the problem at hand efficiently. For our current set of problems, we prefer to primarily use TypeScript with Node.js. We use TypeGraphQL for our API endpoints, Apollo/Express as our web server, and Postgres (hosted on RDS) as our database. We use React for front-end, and AWS for our infrastructure needs.
- Be Customer-centric - We work backwards from the needs of our customers. The crisp articulation of customer value guides our decisions.
- Take Ownership - We move with speed and decisiveness and aren’t afraid to take calculated risks. We hold ourselves accountable for outcomes we own.
- Strive for Simplicity - We choose simplicity over complexity whenever possible. We seek to identify and understand the essential quality of what we are building.
- Dream Big - Where others see constraints, we see opportunities to bring new ideas to life. The best ideas ask “what if?”
- Craft Excellence - We take pride in our craft and are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. But we also know real artists ship.
- We’re In this Together - We measure personal success by the success of our customers and teammates. Relationships matter, and the strongest ones are built on the foundations of trust, enablement, and transparency.
Our investment in caring for our employees and their families is a key part of our values and culture at Common Room:
- Competitive base compensation with meaningful equity ownership
- Health insurance including medical, dental, and vision
- We pay 100% of your employee premium and 50% of your premium for any dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 9 Paid Company Holidays
- Work from home policy including a laptop and support for your home office needs
- 401(k) self contribution (coming soon)
- Opportunity to join a diverse, passionate, and fun team at a pivotal time in the company’s lifecycle
- Remote friendly (west coast preferred)
Common Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
City living made better.