Support Engineer Job
Montreal, QC, Canada
SAP started in 1972 as a team of five colleagues with a desire to do something new. Together, they changed enterprise software and reinvented how business was done. Today, as a market leader in enterprise application software, we remain true to our roots. That’s why we engineer solutions to fuel innovation, foster equality and spread opportunity for our employees and customers across borders and cultures.
SAP values the entrepreneurial spirit, fostering creativity and building lasting relationships with our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can transform industries, grow economics, lift up societies and sustain our environment. Because it’s the best-run businesses that make the world run better and improve people’s lives.
The CEC Support & Application Management team is responsible for delivering second level technical product support for SAP Commerce Cloud. The scope of responsibility of this level is similar to ITIL third support level, including the development of workarounds but excluding the bug fixing and patching. This support extends to all core platform related issues.
In their daily job, Support Engineers will receive technical queries from our customers through SAP ticketing system and are expected to use any means available to find a satisfactory solution in a timely manner. They will regularly communicate with customers, partners and other teams, on different channels, including instant messaging, email, ticketing system and phone.
The main required areas of expertise consist of troubleshooting multi-tenant java/spring applications, deployed in different ways, and excellent customer facing communication.
Scope of Work
The main objective of Product Support is to deliver solutions for SAP Commerce Cloud issues related to the platform software. These issues can be caused by a wide variety of reasons, such as lack of knowledge of the implementation partner, a third-party component or a bug in SAP Commerce Cloud source code. To provide the quality of our service that our customers expect, our product support engineers will establish a solution-oriented dialog with all the required parties (implementation partner, customer, developers, etc.…).
The objective is that the problem is satisfactorily solved in a timely manner, using all means necessary. The typical activities in this process include, but are not limited to:
- Knowledge transfer: If there is a lack of knowledge from customer or partner side, the product engineer will help them understand the topic, providing documentation, examples or a more detailed explanation if something more specific is needed.
- Assessment: The engineer will follow SAP Working Instructions for Product Support to ensure that the request from customer is compliant with SAP Customer Experience requirements. This includes checking for missing information, validating the priority of the incident and verifying the correct category classification.
- Troubleshooting: When there is an unexpected behavior in the product core platform, the product support engineer will collect all the relevant information from the customer and investigate the root cause of the issue. For this, several techniques are used, such as trying to reproduce the issue, stack trace and log analysis, debugging our code and so on. It is extremely important to keep a constant communication with the customer, informing about any update and being responsive on further requests.
- Root Cause: Once the investigation is finalized and the root cause has been identified, the product support engineer will provide it to the customer. This is done in written form and must be verified before communication. If the root cause identification is not enough to close the issue, the engineer will provide a more detailed solution.
- Workaround: The product support engineer can develop, test and share a workaround with the customer. This should be done following the best practices of development and should be explained in detail to the implementation partner.
- Bug Fix Request: In the case where a bug is identified, the product support engineer will create a formal request to development team describing in detail the circumstances in which this bug was discovered, the root cause and a way of reproducing it. The engineer can propose a solution, but it must be validated before creating a patch.
- Escalating: If the customer requires escalating the ticket, the engineer will follow the established procedures for these situations. If the engineer thinks that the ticket is above his or her level of knowledge, the escalation can be initiated from his or her side as well.
- Documenting: After every ticket, the engineer will submit a report to SAP Knowledge Base in order to contribute to clarify any further issues regarding this topic.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, preferably Computer Science or a related discipline (or an equivalent combination of educational and work experience in a related field)
- 1-3+ years of experience in Java development
- Practical working experience with:
- J2EE, Java, Spring Framework, Solr
- Relational databases and SQL
- Public cloud providers knowledge (Azure, Google Cloud, AWS, etc.) is a plus
- Kubernetes Knowledge (basic + acceptable) is a plus
- Excellent customer facing communication in English skills
- Support skills like debugging, tracing, application troubleshooting, etc.
- Ability to adhere to assigned schedule: routine working days to include Monday-Friday but to periodically include (either) Tuesday-Saturday or Sunday-Thursday (1-2 times per month); with working hours that could be allocated between 8:00AM to 8:00PM, with other periodic on-duty or on-call rotation shifts on weekends and public holidays.
- 1 year of work experience in system administration, cloud automation, continuous integration, monitoring, system security, or database administration
- Advanced knowledge in SAP Commerce solution product area (Promotions, User Management, smartEdit, etc.)
- Cloud Architect certification (Azure, Google Cloud, AWS, or VMWare)
- Dynatrace/AppDynamics/New Relic, or Splunk user certification
- Docker Certified Associate certification
- Kubernetes Certified Administrator certification
- Linux System Administrator certification
- Product Support engineers will typically engage when our customer development teams need help during the implementation or when a disruption on the customer system is detected. This means that their skills must go beyond the traditional development framework and be focused on finding a solution. This requires an extremely solution-oriented mindset, an ability to swiftly change focus between topics and exhibiting ownership and accountability.
- Due to the dynamic nature of the e-commerce industry, the product support engineer must be able to provide interim relief solutions or workarounds. This requires being very creative under pressure and thinking at the same time out and inside the box.
- SAP Commerce Cloud is designed as a layered stack with different modules. Instead of being an expert on one or two of these parts, a Product Support engineer is expected to have a good understanding of all parts and focusing his expertise on the way those parts interact with each other.
- This is an extremely customer facing role. Phone calls with customers and partners, discussing technical topics, are required daily. Because of that, communication skills are almost as important as technical. Screen sharing and troubleshooting sessions are techniques often used. The working language is English.
WHAT YOU GET FROM US
Success is what you make it. At SAP, we help you make it your own. A career at SAP can open many doors for you. If you’re searching for a company that’s dedicated to your ideas and individual growth, recognizes you for your unique contributions, fills you with a strong sense of purpose, and provides a fun, flexible and inclusive work environment – apply now.
SAP'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
To harness the power of innovation, SAP invests in the development of its diverse employees. We aspire to leverage the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies that each person brings to the company.
SAP is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to Recruiting Operations Team (Americas: Careers.NorthAmerica@sap.com or Careers.LatinAmerica@sap.com, APJ: Careers.APJ@sap.com, EMEA: Careers@sap.com).
Successful candidates might be required to undergo a background verification with an external vendor.
Job Segment: ERP, Consulting, Developer, Engineer, Computer Science, Technology, Engineering
Your application has been successfully submitted.