Finance Manager, Subsidiaries
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are looking for a highly motivated Finance Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Finance, you will play a critical role in building a world-class function to help scale Top Hat's rapidly growing business as we progress towards a potential IPO. You will provide hands-on leadership to the subsidiaries’ accounting and financial reporting process. The role is in a high-growth industry and requires the ability to adapt and apply knowledge to assist in improving efficiencies and processes.
- Manage the month-end close for managed subsidiaries, process and prepare timely and accurate consolidated financial statements, and supporting documents, including approving journal entries, reviewing account reconciliations, and providing detailed forecast-to-actual variance analysis to leadership
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for investors
- Manage the day-to-day financial and accounting operations including accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, revenue recognition, expense reports, and banking and credit card relationships
- Research technical accounting issues as needed and establish company-wide accounting policies
- Responsible for managing the financial year-end close procedures for Subsidiaries, including preparation of annual audited financial statements.
- Control day-to-day cash flow to ensure vendors are paid and all receivables are collected on a timely basis
- Ensure all financial transactions recorded in Subsidiaries ledgers comply with US GAAP and with Subsidiaries’ financial policies and procedures.
- Design, document, and implement effective internal controls to ensure the accuracy of financial reporting, the integrity of data, and safeguarding of assets. Assist in identifying inefficiencies and revamping processes to streamline and automate work, wherever possible
- Contribute meaningfully to unique projects such as managing inter-company agreements, expanding internationally, assisting with raising additional debt/equity financing, annual forecasting and budgeting process, etc.
- BA/BS degree in Finance or Accounting. CPA/CA required.
- 4-6 years of progressive experience, ideally a combination of public accounting (Big 4 or regional equivalent) and industry experience
- Strong communication, interpersonal, team building and organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels of the organization and make actionable recommendations
- Must be proactive and a self-starter, and able to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from the manager to accomplish objectives.
- Flexibility to work under time constraints and deadlines
- Experience with Netsuite a plus
Five reasons people choose to join the Top Hat team:
*Award-winning company and culture. Top Hat has consistently ranked as one of the fastest-growing and best places to work in Canada.
*A single mission that drives every single Top Hatter. We empower educators to engage students and unleash their potential. Our relentless focus on customers is a pretty inspiring idea to wake up to every day.
*A winning long-term strategy and business model. We aim to be the dominant teaching platform in higher education in the world, and our team is making that possible through great content and product solutions that are making a real impact on educators.
*A collaborative team doing really challenging work. What we’ve set out to do is ambitious and hasn’t been done before. Our team works closely together - across departments - to innovate and improve the lives of educators and students.
*Great benefits, rewards, and career opportunities. We offer competitive benefits, an amazing workplace culture, and lots of room for career growth. For those who invest in themselves at Top Hat, the sky’s the limit.
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is the only all-in-one courseware platform that enables active learning—a proven student-centered teaching pedagogy that promotes deep understanding, critical thinking, and subject mastery—with interactive content, tools, and activities. Millions of students at 750 leading North American colleges and universities use Top Hat to teach and engage with students before, during, and after class, in both in-person and online education.
Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has consistently been recognized as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.