This job is no longer accepting applications.
Top Hat is looking for a Staff Developer to join our team - a role that has an extremely broad impact across our engineering teams. You have a depth and breadth of knowledge and experience, from writing code to solving difficult problems to helping guide and mentor teams using best practices to ensuring we have the correct infrastructure and tools to succeed.
You will work across our different teams, driving forward our vision and processes. At times you will embed directly with a team, to build out a specific feature or implement new functionality. Other times you will consult with many teams, working closely with team leads, technical leads, and other staff engineers to work on cross-team functionality.
At all times, you are excited to help share your knowledge and grow the team members you interact with!
- Demonstrate leadership, ownership and initiative, taking responsibility and driving change across the engineering organization.
- Work with team leads, product managers, and stakeholders to understand what our long-term needs are, and ensure that our code and infrastructure are aligned to success.
- Mentor and inspire members within the organization, especially within the engineering team; using your knowledge and experience to grow others.
- Get hands on and embed with delivery teams to drive critical projects.
- Work across our entire ecosystem and stack, driving value from the high-level architecture all the way down to the underlying infrastructure.
- Spearhead initiatives to improve quality, operations, and developer experience.
- Play a key role in our ongoing transition to a service-oriented architecture.
- The right combination of education and experience: a solid understanding of software development through a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a Technology related field, and 7+ years of experience building software systems.
- 2-3 years experience in a technical leadership role, driving initiatives and making cross-cutting decisions.
- Experience with service-oriented architecture or microservices.
- Technical! You have comfort with most of the following:
- Web development technologies and tools
- Automated unit and integration testing
- Cloud computing services and products
- Designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant systems
Some of the reasons we attract great people:
- We are tackling interesting technology challenges such as re-architecting our system to a service-oriented architecture, while driving best practices across the department.
- The impact you will make extends beyond just the success of the company but the prosperity of the education environment.
- We work in a collaborative team-oriented atmosphere where you will have the opportunity to work with developers from across the whole department to make an impact both to our customers and to our team.
- We have a very good business and strong revenue growth. You will be exposed to all-aspects of a business past start-up mode and scaling quickly.
- We’re just the right size. Top Hat isn’t a megacorp nor are we a small ‘cowboy’ shop. We are just the right size for individuals that want stability but don’t want to be a number.
- We offer mentorship and meaningful work along with growth opportunities. Whether it’s leading people, products or projects, our growth translates into new positions for those that are motivated.
Five reasons people choose to join the Top Hat team:
*Award-winning company and culture. Top Hat has consistently ranked as one of the fastest-growing and best places to work in Canada.
*A single mission that drives every single Top Hatter. We empower educators to engage students and unleash their potential. Our relentless focus on customers is a pretty inspiring idea to wake up to every day.
*A winning long-term strategy and business model. We aim to be the dominant teaching platform in higher education in the world, and our team is making that possible through great content and product solutions that are making a real impact on educators.
*A collaborative team doing really challenging work. What we’ve set out to do is ambitious and hasn’t been done before. Our team works closely together - across departments - to innovate and improve the lives of educators and students.
*Great benefits, rewards, and career opportunities. We offer competitive benefits, an amazing workplace culture, and lots of room for career growth. For those who invest in themselves at Top Hat, the sky’s the limit.
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is the only all-in-one courseware platform that enables active learning—a proven student-centered teaching pedagogy that promotes deep understanding, critical thinking, and subject mastery—with interactive content, tools, and activities. Millions of students at 750 leading North American colleges and universities use Top Hat to teach and engage with students before, during, and after class, in both in-person and online education.
Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has consistently been recognized as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.