Engineering Team Lead
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Are you passionate about leading high performing development teams? Do you thrive working in a collaborative and agile engineering environment? This is the opportunity for you! We are looking for seasoned Engineering Team Leads to take our product to the next level. Team Leads at Top Hat are the most senior hands-on engineers in our teams. Your day to day role is diverse. One day you’ll be leading a deep-dive with your team on a memory optimization issue, and the next you’ll be with a product manager in a virtual classroom filled with Top Hat users validating the features you built.
You own your work end-to-end, from talking with our users to understand innovative ways we can help them to monitoring production operations to understand how we can make existing features better. You will be working amongst a group of 10+ team leads that regularly meets to learn from one another.
- Drive the success of our team’s objectives and key results
- Own a product domain that is used by millions
- Lead a full-stack development team that is engaged, learning, and making great technical decisions
- Opportunity to work with the latest technologies, building on a new SOA platform with great tech across the stack (React/Redux, Python/Django & much more)
- Work closely with product management, data, design, and user research on end-to-end projects to ensure we are building the right things
- Have the autonomy to make technical decisions, propose the best solutions to the problems presented and space to think and iterate
- A seasoned full stack developer with engineering leadership experience. This includes technical leadership demonstrated through leading major projects throughout the full software design lifecycle; and people leadership having previously mentored, coached and run high-performing teams with autonomy and accountability
- The technical skills that include web development technologies and tools, automated unit and integration testing, designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant services
- Experience working in a collaborative Test Driven Development environment
- Experience working on modernization experience, breaking down a monolith into services
- You have the right combination of education and experience. A solid understanding of software development either through a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a Technology-related field, and/or 3+ years of experience building software systems
Five reasons people choose to join the Top Hat team:
*Award-winning company and culture. Top Hat has consistently ranked as one of the fastest-growing and best places to work in Canada.
*A single mission that drives every single Top Hatter. We empower educators to engage students and unleash their potential. Our relentless focus on customers is a pretty inspiring idea to wake up to every day.
*A winning long-term strategy and business model. We aim to be the dominant teaching platform in higher education in the world, and our team is making that possible through great content and product solutions that are making a real impact on educators.
*A collaborative team doing really challenging work. What we’ve set out to do is ambitious and hasn’t been done before. Our team works closely together - across departments - to innovate and improve the lives of educators and students.
*Great benefits, rewards, and career opportunities. We offer competitive benefits, an amazing workplace culture, and lots of room for career growth. For those who invest in themselves at Top Hat, the sky’s the limit.
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is the only all-in-one courseware platform that enables active learning—a proven student-centered teaching pedagogy that promotes deep understanding, critical thinking, and subject mastery—with interactive content, tools, and activities. Millions of students at 750 leading North American colleges and universities use Top Hat to teach and engage with students before, during, and after class, in both in-person and online education.
Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has consistently been recognized as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.