Data & Systems Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are looking for an experienced Data & Systems Engineer to help develop and manage our internal data pipelines and reporting capabilities. The ideal candidate is part developer and part business analyst. They are comfortable working with cross-functional teams to build end-to-end data products and reporting solutions. This role’s focus is data heavy, and will be an integral part of the Data and Systems team, contributing to the rapid build-out of internal systems to support this fast growing company.
- You will maintain and support our internal data warehouse, working to expand and improve upon our existing data pipelines
- You will architect efficient, reliable and scalable ETL data pipelines for operational data, focusing on performance and quality of the data we work with
- You will build end-to-end solutions with deliverables spanning requirements, development, documentation, configuration, maintenance as well as training for end-users
- Your work will improve internal processes, by eliminating friction and automating manual tasks for operational teams throughout the organization
- You will own accuracy and reliability of our core corporate data as it flows from our app to our business users
- You will work cross-functionally with our internal customers to understand their data requirements and build out dashboard and reporting solutions that improve the understanding of our business
- You will be a leader in your space, and will seek out and promote engineering best practices
- Your work will have visible impact across the organization and fuel our data-driven culture
- We’re a small and rapidly growing team, where every member has the ability and expectation to contribute to a wide variety of projects that touch upon every area of our business
- Our customers are our fellow Top Hatters. We manage and serve up a wealth of operational data to hundreds of users across the organization
- We are strongly team-oriented, while still valuing autonomy and independent work. We believe that collaboration is the key to designing strong solutions
- Business Intelligence reporting, ETL, systems integration and process automation are our bread and butter
- Our ecosystem today revolves heavily around: Python, SQL, Looker, RedShift and Airflow
- 3+ years of experience building and maintaining data pipelines
- Fluent in SQL and Python. Object-oriented programming experience a plus
- Familiarity with a variety of databases
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Information Systems, Engineering or another quantitative field
- Data visualization, BI or reporting experience is also a plus
- You enjoy optimizing data systems as well as building them from the ground up
- You are passionate about solving business problems with technology and have experience translating business needs into technical solutions
- You are an exceptional communicator and are passionate about providing great service to our internal customers
- You thrive in both collaborative environments as well as through independent work (and, say, rolling provincial lockdowns)
- You have initiative and show good leadership with solid project management and organizational skills
- You relish working in a small high caliber team within a fast growth and fast moving company
Five reasons people choose to join the Top Hat team:
*Award-winning company and culture. Top Hat has consistently ranked as one of the fastest-growing and best places to work in Canada.
*A single mission that drives every single Top Hatter. We empower educators to engage students and unleash their potential. Our relentless focus on customers is a pretty inspiring idea to wake up to every day.
*A winning long-term strategy and business model. We aim to be the dominant teaching platform in higher education in the world, and our team is making that possible through great content and product solutions that are making a real impact on educators.
*A collaborative team doing really challenging work. What we’ve set out to do is ambitious and hasn’t been done before. Our team works closely together - across departments - to innovate and improve the lives of educators and students.
*Great benefits, rewards, and career opportunities. We offer competitive benefits, an amazing workplace culture, and lots of room for career growth. For those who invest in themselves at Top Hat, the sky’s the limit.
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is the only all-in-one courseware platform that enables active learning—a proven student-centered teaching pedagogy that promotes deep understanding, critical thinking, and subject mastery—with interactive content, tools, and activities. Millions of students at 750 leading North American colleges and universities use Top Hat to teach and engage with students before, during, and after class, in both in-person and online education.
Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has consistently been recognized as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.