Senior Backend Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Senior Back End Manager
Sensibill - Canada
Hi, We’re Sensibill.
Want to join a team that makes an impact? We know that efficient receipt management is critical to the health of any business. Since 2013, the Sensibill team has been committed to building innovative AI and ML-powered tools that help banks and technology companies turn everyday spend data into actionable insights. Banks use our digital solutions (like receipt capture and management) to provide users with a way to track receipts for returns, exchanges, expenses, accounting, and taxes. Our mission is simple: build better digital banking tools that drive engagement and insights so financial institutions can nurture financially healthy customers.
Our products reach millions of users worldwide, and you have the opportunity to make a difference. Everyone’s voice matters and everyone plays a role in building a thriving, socially-responsible technology company.
We take company culture seriously. And ours is like that perfect piece of pie; humble and delivers exactly what you expect. But why #PIE? It's not just one of our favourite food groups - it’s also our company’s acronym that keeps us accountable for how we work. We are a team of people that work to #PlayToWin, all while ensuring Passion, Integrity, and Excellence.
With #PIE, we can focus on high-value outcomes that showcase our best work and solutions to our customers’ challenges. Learn more about #PIE here: https://getsensibill.com/careers
A Day In The Life
As a Senior Back End Manager, you will:
- Be responsible for overseeing software development lifecycles, release process, engineering best practices, and testing strategies;
- Unblock sprints and teams by working closely with the product manager on grooming and prioritizing the backlog;
- Estimate, scope, prioritize, and project plan out large initiatives to get buy-in and alignment with engineering and product leadership;
- Guide the API team deliver new features, documentation, and bug-fixes Mentor and manage individual engineers, helping them hone their craft, support their career development, and improve the way they collaborate with their teammates to deliver high-quality shippable software;
- Help the team navigate technical challenges, without taking over their ownership of the problem or how to solve it; Lead by example to foster an environment where people feel safe - both to question everything constructively, and to face their mistakes on the way to overcome them;
- Cultivate and influence continuous improvement both in your team and across Engineering; identify and seize opportunities to improve the way we estimate, plan, develop, test, ship and deploy our software;
- Facilitate cross-team coordination and effective engagement, both within Engineering and across the company;
- Work with other managers and senior leaders to establish and refine the technical strategy for all of Engineering.
A bit about you:
- 6+ years of experience in a management role;
- 3+ years of experience in software development;
- A player-coach mentality;
- Experience with Node.js or Python; experience with APIs;
- Experience with leading both brownfield and greenfield projects;
- Experience growing and scaling engineering teams;
- Experience managing and mentoring individual engineers, helping them succeed, improve and grow their careers;
- Several years of hands-on technical experience delivering production-ready software;
- Experience with at least one Agile methodology (ie. Scrum, Kanban, Lean);
- Experience with a variety of Agile technical practices (ie. XP, TDD, Design Patterns, Inversion of Control, CI, CD, test automation, DevOps, Infrastructure as Code);
- Knowledge in clean architecture and clean code.
Are You The Next Sensibillian To Join Our Team?
Ready to join a dedicated team and make a truly positive impact through your work as part of a thriving Toronto startup making waves in the world of fintech? You may just be our next Sensibillian!
Suppose you want to solve unique problems to improve the lives of those we serve and want to contribute your skills, passion, integrity, and commitment to excellence to a growing startup with a rewarding and inclusive culture. In that case, we’d love to hear from you!
Though our headquarters are located in Toronto, Ontario, you will be working remotely in a full-time capacity. Our team here at Sensibill uses a range of virtual collaborative work and communication tools, along with digital training and onboarding resources, so you’ll always feel connected to your teammates and our organization at large!
As a full-time employee at Sensibill, you’ll have access to perks, benefits, and tools + resources like:
- Individual Learning & Development budget
- Coverage of professional membership fees
- Enhanced health and wellness benefits
- Equity and fairness across all team members
- Mental health and wellness support + resources
(Among other benefits and support!)
Diversity And Inclusion
To us, they’re not buzzwords. They’re the lifeforce behind Sensibill.
At Sensibill, the differences that make each of us who we are, the perspectives that help define how we think and work, and our individually unique experiences help us drive innovation, both in and outside of the company. We don’t just value diversity but believe it’s the lifeforce behind our work here at Sensibill. By working alongside teammates with different backgrounds and perspectives, we can create a platform for change and real impact. To do that, we build teams that reflect the very real people we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their whole and authentic selves to work. We strongly encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, origin, or disability.
Sensibill provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please contact Sean Araujo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Turn everyday spend into long-term financial wellness with actionable, purchase-level data.