Technical Support Specialist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2021!
We’re a mid-sized tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution.
Interested candidates must be able to work rotational shifts, including weekends and holidays. Our Technical Support office is open Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-12:00 am, and Saturday-Sunday, 9:00 am-9:00 pm.
This role will begin entirely remotely with the option to remain a remote employee post quarantine.
Who You’ll Be Joining: Our Technical Support team focus on providing the best possible customer experience through troubleshooting and solving all kinds of inquiries. They are a smart, curious, and empathetic team who strive to stand out from the crowd and consistently receive great reviews from our customers as a result. We are proud of our support team, and the reputation we have as a leading company in smart home technology is in large part attributed to their dedication to our customers.
How you’ll make an impact: As a Technical Support Specialist, you’ll be our first line of support at ecobee and work directly with our customers to solve their issues, inquiries, and assistance-requests through phone, email or chat (our ticketing and documentation system is Zendesk and Cisco Finesse). We have a variety of IoT products and services so your work may extend over several areas of expertise like smart thermostat, video cameras, smart sensors etc., and services like home monitoring subscriptions.
Requests can become fairly technical, for example, a customer may contact us regarding certain aspects of wiring configuration for a thermostat. However, another may be inquiring how our eco+ program works, where you will guide the customer towards different ways they can save money or limit their carbon footprint.
The End users aren’t the only customers you will assist, but also HVAC professionals, distribution partners, OEM partners, and utility customers sometimes require our assistance!
Technical Support Specialist are a huge benefit to ecobee as they enable our users and installers to take full advantage of our smart devices and services. If you have a passion for all things technology, love learning, and appreciate a good challenge, this role might be just what you’re looking for!
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Superior verbal and written communication skills (direct, clear, and helpful); having a friendly and accessible communication style is what we’re all about!
- Strong customer service experience is a must – whether your experience is in help desk, technical support or retail experience, we are looking for individuals that are able to problem solve with our customers on the spot via phone and email.
- Ability to approach problems with empathy, remain calm, adapt to change, and showcase strong troubleshooting abilities.
- The aptitude and eagerness to learn and adapt to new technology.
- Proficient multitasking skills; you’re able to listen to and document all our customer interactions in real time.
- An understanding of (or interest in) smart home technology and/or the Internet of Things (HomeKit, WINK, SmartThings, IFTTT and other API integrations) would be considered an asset!
- A solid grasp of Wireless/Wi-Fi troubleshooting methodologies, voice-based apps like Alexa would be an asset.
- Prior experience working within a ticketing or documentation system such as Zendesk, ServiceNow, or Salesforce Service Cloud would be an asset.
- An understanding of HVAC controls, control wiring, and HVAC terminology would be a bonus, but is not a dis-qualifier!
P.S. Through trial and error, we’ve learned that people don’t apply unless we provide a guideline. However, what’s more important to us than a number is the experiences you’ve had and the skills you’ve developed—regardless of the length of time it took to get where you are. Do you have multiple years of experience? Awesome, please apply. Have only 6 months?, but feel you meet the requirements above? Great, send us your resume.
What We Bring to the Table:
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space.
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses.
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave.
- Stock options in ecobee as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Changes we’ve made to ensure our employees are safe: We are doing our part to ensure that our employees (and future employees) remain healthy, safe, and at home to reduce the spread of Covid-19. In doing so, ecobee has made the decision to be a remote-first work environment until July 1st 2021.
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Improving everyday life, while creating a more sustainable world.