Fall 2021 Design Internship
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by design. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Want to learn more about Shopify's Intern Program? Sign-up for our Fall 2021 info session & events here ✨
Interns at Shopify are fully integrated with their teams and the things you will work on are thoughtfully considered. If your team is working through a tough problem, so are you. If they are travelling to another city, you’ll be joining. There won’t be any latte fetching, there are no “intern projects” and you’ll have access to a wide range of perks based on your individual interests.
Mentorship will be available to you and you’ll join +7000 exceptionally bright people who are serious about personal growth and learning. We build products that support all kinds of entrepreneurs - from the one-product independent business owner to rapidly scaling brands like Allbirds. We’re also the platform for those that haven’t taken the first step toward getting started yet, and we try to level the playing field for anyone with a great idea to start and grow their business.
High trust and flexibility have always been a part of our culture, and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify.
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Fall Internship will run September 7th - December 17th 2021, and the 8-month Fall/Winter Internship will run September 7th - April 29th 2022.
The posting will close on Sunday, May 9th, 2021 at 11:59PM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Our design team is made up of over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers. Although everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the design team has a special role in building an understanding and empathy for entrepreneurs.
These entrepreneurs rely on Shopify to provide them with the tools they need to run their business. Creating beautiful products includes identifying the right problems, performing research, prototyping solutions, and shipping features (sometimes all in the same week). The Shopify design internship program is an opportunity to take ownership over projects and to collaborate with other creatives, UX researchers and engineers, on a multi-disciplinary team. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving our employees the room to experiment and grow.
Our Shopify design team creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone is Shopify’s passion and one of our designers main objectives.
We welcome design interns from all backgrounds, whether you’re a student leveling up or a professional transitioning from another industry. A portfolio is considered a great asset, but not a requirement for the internship.
As a Design Intern at Shopify, you will:
- Be an active part of every stage of the design process to improve our merchants’ experience: from idea to research, building, shipping, and launch. This includes participating in design sprints to define and explore merchant problems.
- Help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for our merchants’ needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work.
- Be paired with a dedicated mentor and a team of highly skilled designers who are committed to supporting your success and growing your skills through consistent feedback.
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You’ll get the chance to work closely with engineers, product managers, and front-end developers to help explore, build, and ship your designs.
- Learn how to approach complex problems and design elegant solutions.
- Improve how you communicate the design challenges and opportunities you encounter.
You’re the kind of person who has:
- The desire to grow -- you'll have the opportunity to dive into new and uncomfortable challenges.
- The ability to clearly present your point of view, express ideas, and accept feedback.
- A passion for unpacking and solving complex problems.
- A unique interest for the end user - advocating for them in all areas of your work is core to what you do.
- A desire to improve on iterative design practices.
- Proficiency with Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator or Figma.
In Your Application:
1. Include your resume.
2. Project Submission: We’d like to see an example of your previous design work. This can be a project completed at school, at work, or as a personal project, anything that you were responsible for and that you can speak about confidently. Wrap up your project in Github or a public Google Drive link labelled Shopify-Summer2021-FirstName-LastName (using your name, of course!) and include it with your application. You may include things like pdf, HTML file without your name. Non-exported files e.g. Illustrator, XD, Sketch, Figma file will not be reviewed. We ask that you not include anything inside your submission that would personally identify you (name, photo, etc), as we screen these projects anonymously. (If you are new to the field or do not have a project to share, feel free to use this project idea to design a submission.)
3. Project Writeup: Please provide a maximum 1 page write-up about your project including the information below. Please include this separately. (Please don’t include any personally identifying information here either)
- The problem: Tell us about the problem you’re solving. How did you learn more about the problem space? Were there constraints and what were they?
- Your process: What was your approach in solving the problem? If this was a group effort, what role did you play? Did your project go through multiple iterations? Tell us about it!
- Your solution: Describe your solution. How would you validate that your solution solves the problem?
- Reflection: What was challenging about solving this problem? What did you learn while solving this problem? Is there anything in this project you’d like to get feedback on? If you had more time, or were doing this a second time, what would you do differently?
3. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- Tell us about a time you messed up and what you learned from it. (200 word limit)
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team. The intention of the Life Story interview is to construct your own personal timeline, including decisions you’ve made, what you’re passionate about, and the path you’ve taken to bring you to where you are today.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 60 minute technical interview with 2 Shopify designers. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring. Generally, we ask that candidates bring a project with them they can present to our interviewers, and specifically something that they have created personally (ideally not a group project).
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Timelines of decision will be clearly communicated to candidates by their Recruiter throughout the process and you will always hear back from us. #noghosting
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The posting will close on May 9th 2021 at 11:59PM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Making commerce better for everyone - remotely 💚