Fall 2021 Data Developer Internship
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by design. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Want to learn more about Shopify's Intern Program? Sign-up for our Fall 2021 info session & events here ✨
Interns at Shopify are fully integrated with their teams and the things you will work on are thoughtfully considered. If your team is working through a tough problem, so are you. If they are travelling to another city, you’ll be joining. There won’t be any latte fetching, there are no “intern projects” and you’ll have access to a wide range of perks based on your individual interests.
Mentorship will be available to you and you’ll join +7000 exceptionally bright people who are serious about personal growth and learning. We build products that support all kinds of entrepreneurs - from the one-product independent business owner to rapidly scaling brands like Allbirds. We’re also the platform for those that haven’t taken the first step toward getting started yet, and we try to level the playing field for anyone with a great idea to start and grow their business.
High trust and flexibility have always been a part of our culture, and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify.
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Fall Internship will run September 7th - December 17th 2021, and the 8-month Fall/Winter Internship will run September 7th - April 29th 2022.
The posting will close on Sunday, May 9th, 2021 at 11:59PM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Our Data Platform Engineering group builds and maintains the platform that delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for over a million merchants. We’re hiring high-impact interns across our teams:
- The Engine group organizes all merchant and Shopify data into our data lake in highly-optimized formats for fast query processing, and maintaining the security and the quality of our datasets.
- The Analytics group builds products that leverage the Engine primitives to deliver simple and useful products that power scalable transformation of data at Shopify in batch, streaming, or for machine learning. This group is focused on making it really simple for our users to answer three questions: What happened in the past? What is happening now? And, what will happen in the future?
- The Data Experiences group builds end-user experiences for experimentation, data discovery, and business intelligence reporting.
- The Reliability group operates the data platform efficiently in a consistent and reliable manner. They build tools for other teams at Data Platform to leverage to encourage consistency and they champion reliability across the platform.
We use a variety of big data and cloud technologies. If you’re interested in learning about, and working with, one or more of the following, then the Data Platform Engineering group might be a good fit for you:
- Internals of a distributed compute engine (Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- Query optimization, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Security products and methods (Apache Ranger, Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- Building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
While our teams value specialized skills, they’ve also got a lot in common. We’re looking for a:
- High-energy self-starter with experience and passion for data and big data scale processing. You enjoy working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
- Exceptional communicator with the ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
- Solid software engineer, interested in building and maintaining systems at scale.
In Your Application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your programming knowledge, please submit the Shopify Developer Intern Challenge. Please save your challenge to your GitHub account, and attach the link to your completed challenge, not the homepage of your account. Challenge submission is mandatory in order to be considered.
3. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- Tell us about a time you messed up and what you learned from it. (200 word limit)
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
*Challenge submission is mandatory. Include the direct link to the completed challenge from your GitHub.
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team. The intention of the Life Story interview is to construct your own personal timeline, including decisions you’ve made, what you’re passionate about, and the path you’ve taken to bring you to where you are today.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 90 minute technical interview with 2 Shopify developers. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring. Generally, we ask that candidates bring a project with them they can present to our interviewers, and specifically something that includes code they have written personally (ideally not a group project). In the event that candidates don’t have a project, then we ask that they complete a coding challenge before the technical interview. The second portion of the interview is a paired programming session with our developers.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Timelines of decision will be clearly communicated to candidates by their Recruiter throughout the process and you will always hear back from us. #noghosting
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The posting will close on May 9th 2021 at 11:59PM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Making commerce better for everyone - remotely 💚