Senior Engineer, Visualization Systems (Remote San Francisco, CA)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Mode is conducting all interviewing and onboarding for new team members virtually due to COVID-19. All new and existing Mode employees will continue to work from home until it’s safe to return to our offices. When our offices re-open, you will have the choice to work from our office in SF or from home.
Mode is a company built for analysts and data scientists. We're on a mission to help businesses turn data into a force of gravity that brings people—data experts and domain experts alike—together to solve their hardest problems and drive action. We work toward this mission everyday by building our collaborative, interactive data science platform while also serving as a source of education and inspiration for analysts and data scientists of all experience levels.
Mode’s visualization team is a critical part of this mission. The team has a dual mandate. First, we’re responsible for developing the shared libraries that constitute the core of our visual encoding, data modeling, and rendering systems. Secondly, we’re responsible for implementing new visualization features and tools based on the needs of the businesses who use Mode every day.
What you'll do
- Own our visual encoding, data modeling, and rendering libraries
- Ensure that our visualization systems are meeting our customers’ reliability, functionality, and performance expectations
- Collaborate closely with the product, design, and analytics teams to identify areas where we can develop new visualization features and functionality
- Define and maintain development practices that help us build more quickly and confidently
What we look for
- A full stack implementor - you want to work across the entire stack from theory to implementation
- A systems builder - you want to work on identifying abstract patterns and structures that we can apply to solve a wide array of real-world problems
- Expertise in encoding based visualization systems such as Vega-Lite, Tableau, ggplot2, etc.
- Experience working with web-focused 2d rendering technologies such as Vega, d3, SVG, etc.
- Professional experience shipping production software in at least one programming language
- Proficiency with TypeScript, our primary visualization systems language, is a plus
- Alignment with Mode's values
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Answer any question, fast. Mode brings #SQL, #Python, #Rstats and custom visualizations together in one analytics platform.