Head of Community Data Science & Analytics (Remote US)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Head of Community Data Science & Analytics
San Francisco, CA or Remote
Communities are a core pillar of Discord’s vision - to empower people with the power to build genuine relationships and create belonging in their lives . Millions of people come to Discord every day to hang out in communities for all kinds of interests, from servers where Harry Potter fans geek out to servers where students practice speaking new languages with native speakers halfway across the world.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Senior Manager to lead our Ecosystems Analytics team. As head of the Ecosystems Analytics team reporting into our Head of Data Science & Analytics, you will have significant leadership and influence on the evolution of Discord’s Data organization. In this role, you will leverage your experience leading a world-class analytics team to partner with the Communities team in order to improve on ways in which we can understand community health, adoption of moderation tools, and overall make Discord a better place to be.
- Partner closely with product, engineering, and business teams to understand feature adoption, proactively identify opportunities for improvement, and build robust scalable tools to empower decision-making at all levels of the company
- In partnership with our Data leaders, inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the Data organization at Discord!
- Create novel and interpretable metrics to provide insight into the health of Discord’s communities
- Transform data into information - establish hypotheses, dig deep, and seek to understand root causes - to make Discord better for all users
- Design experiments to measure causal impact and draw actionable conclusions
- Own the vision and roadmap for the Ecosystems Analytics team, supporting a key pillar of the Discord Product roadmap
- Build and mentor a world-class analytics team, expanding the impact of data at Discord
You Have (not hard qualifications - if you're not sure, please apply!):
- 3+ years of leadership experience as a data analytics manager, leading a team of 3+ analysts or scientists, with experience recruiting, interviewing, and mentoring
- Excellent skills in communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences, with an ability
- 6+ years of industry experience in applying analytics to answer vague business problems
- Expertise in SQL (any dialect)
- Proficiency in modern BI tooling (Chartio, Looker, Tableau, etc), with an eye towards clear and rich visualizations and performance
- Familiarity with basic A/B testing principles
- A collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Experience with analytics for social media or international subscription-based online services, including familiarity with concepts such as social graphs, LTV analysis, funnel analysis, etc.
- Experience mentoring (or even managing!) other managers
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Fluency in Python or R
- Familiarity with Airflow, GCP, BigQuery
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Your place to talk. Discord is a voice, video and text communication service to talk and hang out with your friends and communities.