Data Science Manager - Core Product (Remote US)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Data Science Manager - Core Product
San Francisco, CA or Remote
People love Discord because it connects them with people they care about - friends, family, and communities with common interests. To empower people to build genuine relationships and create belonging in their lives, Discord must provide a world-class experience across the many aspects of the service, from the trust and safety to A/V and application performance.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven manager to lead our Core Product Data Science & Analytics team. In this role, you will leverage your experience leading a world-class team to partner with teams across Discord in order to improve the efficacy and usage of our anti-abuse platform, the performance of our A/V infrastructure, and the performance of the Discord app itself. As the head of the team reporting into our Head of Data Science & Analytics, you will have significant leadership and influence on the evolution of Discord's Data organization.
- Partner closely with product, engineering, and business teams to understand feature adoption, proactively identify opportunities for improvement, and build robust scalable tools to empower decision-making at all levels of the company
- Create novel and interpretable metrics to provide insight into the health of the Discord app and use analytics, modeling, and experimentation to understand their impact on the user experience.
- Transform data into information - establish hypotheses, dig deep, and seek to understand root causes - to make Discord better for all users
- Own the vision and roadmap for the Core Product Data Science & Analytics team, supporting a key pillar of the Discord Product roadmap
- Build and mentor a world-class analytics team, expanding the impact of data at Discord
- In partnership with our Data leaders, inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the Data organization at Discord!
You Have (not hard qualifications - if you're not sure, please apply!):
- 3+ years of leadership experience as a people manager, leading a team of 5+ data scientists and/or analysts. Ideally, your team would have had technical expertise covering at least two of the following: BI analytics, machine learning, and A/B experimentation.
- Excellent skills in communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences, with an ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways
- 6+ years of industry experience in applying machine learning and/or analytics techniques to answer vague and challenging business problems
- Proficient in Python/R or SQL (any dialect) for hands-on modeling and/or analysis
- A collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Experience with social media and/or A/V consumer products, including familiarity with concepts such as encoding, measurement of audio/video quality, and application performance
- Proficient in modern BI tooling (Chartio, Looker, Tableau, etc.), with an eye towards clear, rich visualizations and performance
- Familiarity with A/B testing principles
- Experience mentoring (or even managing!) other managers
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Familiarity with Airflow, GCP, BigQuery
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
- Passion for Discord or online communities
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Your place to talk. Discord is a voice, video and text communication service to talk and hang out with your friends and communities.