Staff Software Engineer, SDKs
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you will have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the best and most important work of your career.
About the team
The vast majority of server-side Stripe integrations are built using our open-source SDKs. These libraries reflect the Stripe API in the seven different programming languages that we officially support. Our team also owns an in-house code generation framework which is used to generate not just the SDKs, but the code snippets in our documentation and the Stripe VS Code extension as well.
We aim to provide an unparalleled developer experience, not just for the end users writing Stripe integrations, but also for product teams at Stripe who are building APIs exposed through our various SDKs. Great developer ergonomics, and “minimum viable complexity” are core aspects of Stripe’s identity as a company.
What you’ll do
- Help lead Stripe's API design process, providing guidance to product teams as they seek to produce powerful and intuitive abstractions that are surfaced through our SDKs.
- Shape and cultivate a great holistic SDK usage experience, by partnering with upstream teams that own the API platform and downstream teams that own the documentation pipeline
- Drive iterative improvement of our SDKs and the code generation pipeline to enable idiomatic best practices across the multiple programming languages we support.
- Plan for a future where we may open source parts of our code generation framework to make it easier for third party Stripe SDK owners to maintain their libraries.
- Influence the team’s strategy and roadmap through feedback-driven proposals, and direct engagement with our developer community on GitHub and other channels.
- Contribute to leadership of the broader Developer User Experience group, with other staff engineers.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 10+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 2+ years of experience in the area of developer tooling
- 2+ years of experience in Node.js and 1 or more programming languages among .NET, Java, Go, Python, PHP and Ruby
- Are comfortable working across multiple programming languages and frameworks, including some which you may not have used professionally before.
- Experience building libraries and/or SDKs
- Knowledge of Open API spec and protobuf
- Experience balancing backwards compatibility with forward progress, in the context of software libraries
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Building for the next era of the internet economy.