Product Manager (Remote Canada)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
What does the Product department look like?
Bench is the world’s largest and most efficient bookkeeping service, built from the ground up with a blend of software, people, and process. Our software product underpins our entire service: our web and mobile apps allow our clients to understand their financials, and our bookkeeping system allows us to efficiently complete the books. And, we're just getting started!
We aim to continuously reduce the cost of bookkeeping until it is accessible to every small business, while maintaining our world-class client experience and expanding the scope of services we offer to our clients -- including tax filings and banking.
As a Product Manager, you will be a collaborator in delivering the highest value to the markets we aim to serve in a way that works for Bench. You and other PMs report to a Group Product Manager, who creates space for PMs to be the subject matter experts. We are constantly improving how we build products, so you will be a part of creating new ways or utilizing old tricks to discover and deliver customer value. In this role you get a safe space to do amazing work, collaborating with teammates and having a direct contribution and responsibility to shaping how we provide value to customers.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Product Discovery and Delivery
- Demonstrate world class performance levels to raise the bar for our whole team
- Be responsible for the customer value and business viability of the product.
- Work in our own implementation based on the Shape Up process to create shapes and pitches based on Objectives and Key Results.
- Spend a great deal of your time to discover, quantify, and gain insight into our customers’ decision making and their perception of value.
- Determining business viability involves a clear understanding of the constraints for bringing our solutions to market: marketing, sales, support, legal, finance, privacy, etc; as well as informing positioning by understanding competitive landscape and trends.
- Foster innovation by creating space for team members to show their own strengths and love in order for the team to reach its full potential.
- Be empowered and accountable for results. Shipping is necessary but not sufficient.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Enough experience, understanding, and context building software products to augment our team’s capability to deliver products our customers will love and that work for Bench. Most often, this is 1-6 years of being in it.
- A love and understanding of the techniques of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- The ability to describe hard problems and collaborate on solutions with many constraints, using sound judgement to assess risks.
- The ability to lay out your argument in a well-structured, data-informed, clear, and concisely written narrative.
- Proven ability and passion engaging and working with engineers, designers, and company leaders in a constructive and collaborative relationship.
- Experience being a lovely human being.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- A nose for value: You can take a big-picture perspective to identify and stay focused on what’s most important.
- Appreciation for systems: our bookkeeping operation and expansion projects are a complex system designed to produce high-quality financials on time, with a high degree of efficiency. You’ll have to think about the full system, connecting the dots to figure out the best solution.
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, dedicated, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
- A unique perspective: We know innovation thrives on teams when different points of view come together to solve hard problems. We explicitly seek candidates with a diversity of life experiences, work experiences, educational backgrounds, and cultures. Please be prepared to share how your unique perspective brings value to our teams.
- World class aspiration: you are driven to be the best. Always learning and improving to obtain and push higher standards.
- Empathy: We're all just human, y'know?
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
- We're augmented by physical space and you'll need to be able to travel to Vancouver regularly (open to discussion) once it’s the right thing to do.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Let us do your bookkeeping for you. With Bench you get a team of bookkeepers to do your books, and intuitive software to track your finances.