Software Engineer Lead, Grammarly Business (Remote)
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, and Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly's hubs, currently in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a shared workspace in Krakow.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in Canada or the United States.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer Lead to join our Grammarly Business team, whose work directly impacts millions of users and thousands of organizations. The goal of the Grammarly Business team is to develop features and capabilities that help teams and organizations be more effective and productive in their communication. This group is made up of curious life-long learners who get excited about delivering impactful product offerings to our customers and solving novel technical challenges at scale. As the company and our B2B business grow, the number of large cross-functional projects grows with it, demanding a dedicated role to oversee this new collaboration and coordination.
Grammarly’s engineers, researchers, and business stakeholders have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical and business challenges are growing rapidly as we expand and scale our product offerings. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As Software Engineer Lead for Grammarly Business, you will have the opportunity to drive huge impact at a growing company. Grammarly is uniquely positioned to continue defining the digital writing assistant category, but this comes with significant challenges. Our teams build lightweight, intuitive user experiences for end users, teams, managers, and admins atop an increasingly powerful AI backend. Finding the right balance of delivering value to our enterprise customers and investing in an architecture that enables us to scale our product and team requires high-level thought leadership and sound technical judgment.
In this role, you will:
- Drive architecture for Grammarly Business, including influencing broader Grammarly architecture to support Grammarly Business use cases and vice versa.
- Work across Grammarly Engineering to help teams develop features and services that are “enterprise-ready.”
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to understand business and product requirements.
- Contribute to product strategy and roadmap discussions.
- Help create a technical roadmap that aligns with our product roadmap.
- Identify critical problems to solve and approaches for solving them.
- Introduce new technologies and internal tools to help us build features faster.
- Create an engineering culture with a strong emphasis on documentation, testing, and user experience.
- Mentor and coach Grammarly Business engineers.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2–4 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has 10+ years of experience working in a highly scalable enterprise SaaS environment (Java experience is a huge plus).
- Demonstrates a strong track record of leading and influencing large groups of engineers across all aspects of the stack. Leads by example and sets the right context for decisions.
- Has the ability to effectively communicate ideas to others, actively listen in conversations, and give and receive critical feedback.
- Is able to facilitate effective communication between technical and non-technical audiences.
- Has experience partnering closely with product management and is customer-oriented.
- Keeps in mind business and product goals as a foundational component of architectural and technical solutions and investments.
- Is a creative problem-solver who is able to break down complex problems into manageable components.
- Proactively identifies issues, risks, and opportunities.
- Has experience working on fast-paced teams.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and abides by the Employment Equity Act.
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Ontario
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following US states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania (Kennett Township, New London Township, Pittsburgh City, Shaler Township), South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Make your communication clear and effective, wherever you write.